cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kev2

The Smoke Free Golf Round: Take 1

I learned something over the weekend....Not smoking while playing golf S-U-C-K-S SUCKS!!

My brother called me up on Saturday night and wanted me to play golf with him on Sunday morning. Naturally I said yes. So that night I tell myself that I'm not going to smoke when I get to the course in the morning and that it wont be that bad. Now, I dont know how many golfers there are on "BecomeAnEx.org", but if there are then they know how enjoyable it is to be on the course and relax and enjoy some adult beverages and have some smokey treats. It's quite possibly one of the greatest things ever....to me at least.

Anyways, I smoke a couple on the way to the course as usual, so when I get to the course I leave my "friends" in my car...on purpose. (is it weird that I felt guilty for doing this? lol) So I meet my brother and we tee off. Everything was fine until the 5th hole. Thats when the cravings started. Not good. I had a pretty good idea going into this that this wasn't going to be easy, but golf has always been my way of forgetting about all of the stress that is going on in my life. Its my escape if you will. Not today. The power of golf was no match for the evil that is nicotine. It was totally frustrating. I couldnt hit a shot for anything. I've been playing golf for almost 20 years now, and I cant recall ever playing this badly. I shot a 118. A 118!!! In no way am I Tiger Woods or anything, but I can usually shoot in the low 80's. Not smoking cost me over 30 strokes. I'm sure it will get better once I get over the cravings and such, but if I have to "relearn" how to play golf I'm going to lose my mind. I am proud of myself for accomplishing my mission, but at the same time it was soooooo aggrivating.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
paulie

I too am not looking forward to my first time golfing without inhaling a pack of smokes. However that is awesome you got through it without a smoke. That's awesome. If it's any consulation I shoot a 129 with smoking haha, so lets see what happens on sat.
0 Kudos
denverdeb

ooohhhhh yes, i too have been golfing for over 20 years. smoking and golfing IS the best!! I have been quit for 7 days now, and drove by a course yesterday and had a slight panic when I thought, "oh crap, what will I do when I golf?" I havent gone yet, but I imagine it is like everything else I think about..... what about beer? what about my hot tub? what about ... what about.... what about.... etc. I can tell you this, after 3 days, the cravings begin to stop being so freaky and after 3 weeks, I hear, one reaches a sort of 'epiphany' that it is really cool to be a non-smoker. The mistake you made is robbing your body of its nic fit without it being a 'quit.' this just makes you obsess even more. (it only takes 30 minutes for your body to start wanting nic again.) SO, after you quit, and after you obsess and reach that point where you realize you can do all things, be excited, that you wont have to drop your cig on the ground anymore when you take a shot, and then forget about it and have to light another.... or be glad that you won't be timing your smokes anymore to the green... it will be the same - if not better 🙂 good luck
0 Kudos