cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

rhonda16

The Patch and nico gum safe while breastfeeding?

I was wondering if you can use nico. replacements when you breastfeed? All the packages say ask a dr., I am thinking that smoking and breastfeeding can't be much different. Any opinion would help.
Thanks
0 Kudos
7 Replies
dawn12

Im new at this how do I talk to you
0 Kudos
rhonda16

LOL......I think this is how! I'm also new at this.
0 Kudos
mrs.b

I would consult a Doctor..but I believe any chemicals you put in your body are going to show up in your breast milk.
Better to talk to Doctor and not risk it.
Good luck ~
Mrs. B~
0 Kudos
becky15

Hi dawn- I just read your question.. When I had my 2nd baby and wanted to quit smoking, my OB/GYN told me I shouldn't use the patch because the absorption of nicotine in the breast milk has been known to make the baby irritable and jumpy. My doctor just told me quitting cold turkey and breastfeeding more, or cutting back on my cigarettes would be safer than the patch. I did cut back, and breastfeeding my baby more throughout the day seemed to help me relax and fight the urge to light up. Of course I lost my will power once I stopped breastfeeding and I'm trying to quit again! Good luck.
0 Kudos
dawn12

Thanx. I was talking to my DR today, he said not to stress, just try to cut back and set a date to quit. I just have been reading so much. My DR told me stop reading I would just drive myself crazy about damage I wasnt doing.Plus my sons gym teacher told him I was killing my baby with suffication. My DR wanted to know the name of the teacher for telling kids what he said was Bu-----, but I am trying I find as long as I dont get stressed I can go all day, but as soon as I get alittle nerved thats the first thing I reach for. Thanx
0 Kudos
Dr_Hurt
Mayo Clinic

Relapse to smoking after having a baby all too common, but staying smoke-free is important for you and your baby. Most experts are ok with using nicotine medications to help smoking moms stop smoking even if they are breast feeding. The benefits of breast feeding for the baby, stopping smoking for the mom, and reducing secondhand smoke exposure to the baby far outweigh the risks of nicotine medications used during the postpartum period.

Nicotine replacement products deliver low concentrations of nicotine in breast milk so the amount of nicotine ingested by the baby is very small. Plus when nicotine is ingested into the intestinal track much of it is metabolized to an inactive substance in the baby's liver. It is a good idea to talk with your healthcare provider about the issue.

Dr. Richard D. Hurt is an internationally recognized expert on tobacco dependence. A native of Murray, Kentucky, he joined Mayo Clinic in 1976 and is now a Professor of Medicine at its College of Medicine. In 1988, he founded the Mayo Clinic Nicotine Dependence Center and since then its staff has treated over 33,000 patients for tobacco dependence. Send your questions directly to Dr. Hurt at AskTheExpert@becomeanex.org
Dr. Hurt is now Retired
0 Kudos
bethany

I know when I was breastfeeding I was cutting back because that is what my doctor told me to do as well, however because I was still smoking and stressed about smoking while breast feeding it reduced my milk, I had to pump like crazy to get enough milk, it was very tiring. I did it though I breastfeed until she was 7 months that was when she started teething on me, OUCH!!!
0 Kudos