cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jwtrocks

Thanks Dr Hurt-My one year being anniversary of being smoke free!!!

Last year at this time I attended a smoking cessation program run by Dr Hurtat the Mayo in Rochester, never expecting it to work (I actually had a pack of cigarettes in my backpack for the way home), that was January 11, 2008, today is January 11th 2009, and haven't had a cigarette since that cold day I left Rochester, MN. It really is the ultimate proof that the program will work if you want it too.
Having battled alcohol (sober 14 years) before, I found cigarettes(nicotine), a really tricky criminal to arrest, just when you would think the desire was gone, it would creep up on you again.....and again. I can't put into words how grateful I am to Dr Hurt, the Mayo, and becomeanex.org for their support in the last year, and to ME, as I'm really proud of myself for not giving up.
Something my brother told me when I returned from the Mayo, helped a lot also. I asked him why he never started smoking after he gave it up 20 years ago. He told me it was because "Quitting sucks, and you only want to go through it once, and if you start you WILL have to quit again, whether it be on your own terms or someone elses, so do it once, and do it for good."
Sorry for babbling, thanks again Dr Hurt, Pam and my fellow Mayo friends, I'll be forever in your debt, and if I can ever provide ANY help to someone wanting to quit, I'll do everything in my power to do it, would love to come back to the Mayo and share my experiences, now that I'm on the right road.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
donna22

Congratulations....1 year is awesome, I'm a few months behind you but I know I'll get to my 1 year and on and on...I so agree with your brother, I do not want to go thru this again either....so again congrats and enjoy your smokefree life...
0 Kudos
jwtrocks

Thanks so much Donna, you maybe a few months in time behind me, but sounds like your on the right track, will look forward to hearing about your 1 year
0 Kudos