cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

edith2

Talk About It

One of the greatest tools towards a successful quit is talking about what you're going through. Years ago I heard a saying that "we're only as sick as our secrets." So when I talk about what I'm going through, it gives others the opportunity to reach out and give me support and help me with whatever I'm going through. Sometimes I don't like "airing my dirty laundry," but when it comes to acheiving my goals, it is essential to do so I can move forward and I don't feel so alone. Talking strengthens the foundation of my quit. The number one reason for relapse that I've seen and experienced is not talking to someone about what I'm going through. Talking is a way that I'm insuring my quit against any obstacles that may hit me in the face.
Group Pictures, Images and Photos
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
diane16

I had quit a little over a month ago. I made it for 3 weeks and then took that one puff. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS ONE PUFF! Within a couple of days I was back smoking. I don't like being a smoker anymore.I don't want to be addicted to cigarettes and nicotine and everything that goes with it. I realize that now that having been a smoker I will always be vulnerable to nicotine addiction. I begin my quit tomorrow.
I want out of this smoking insanity.
0 Kudos
edith2

Beth, I did the same thing when I quit. I made a decision to remember how much I hated the beginning of my quit so hopefully I wouldn't have to go through it ever again. So far, so good.
0 Kudos
elaine10

Thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately, I slipped up anyway on Monday. I regrouped and started my quit again on Wednesday. So today was that infamous (for me, anyway) 3rd day. It didn't seem quite so bad, today, and yes, I made it through without smoking. You are right--smoking is not an option and I can do it one day at a time. Thanks for being there!
0 Kudos