cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

j3ffmeadowsgm

Taken The Pledge and ready now

Jump to solution

I have removed all smoking materials from my home. Now begins the hardest part of the journey. I am in intense pain and very sick from smoking right now. I am highly addicted to smoking and I am going to have to face this challenge minute by minute.

It is going to hurt for several days. I have a real problem that is almost obsessive compulsion about smoking and I am very sick today. It will get better. I will deal with the pain. I am very very sick.

Labels (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Maki

No excuses , you can do this @j3ffmeadowsgm . Not that you are sick , not that you feel it's obsessive compulsive . Quite likely it might hurt   but don't give that the power to ruin this amazing person you are or your quit who deserves to be free of this . Accept that these craves are healing you , not hurting . You are becoming new again . You can do it . We are here for you . Reach out any time you can't do it on your own today . You are not alone . You have a cheerleading squad of exes here for you .Great job pledging . Honour it , its a promise to yourself . 

I wish you the very best today @j3ffmeadowsgm . You deserve it . One minute , one hour , won day . 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Barbscloud

@j3ffmeadowsgm  Please give yourself the opportunity to feel better.  

Barb

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

For many quitters, substitution or replacement works. I hear you about the obsessive compulsive thoughts you have about smoking-- that may make more work for you as you quit, but it is not an impossible task. You are right --you have to take it one step at a time, one minute. What is your support system and what are your plans for activities other than smoking?

I quit cold turkey and will relate to you one of my substitutions--not as a recommendation, just as a story about how I coped with the compulsion. I drank black coffee. Bitter, strong black coffee. The regular sipping replaced smoking.

Many, many quitters have to consciously make a list of activities that will help them change their behavior. 

Some other substitutions that I made--eating candy, hot dogs. Also walking. Walking. Walking. Walking. 

In my opinion an action list of things to do should also include concrete actions--mental retraining is fine, but the body needs to move and act.

There is a member of Ex here who says that quitting an addiction is about ending being alone. As addicts we love our secret relationship (addiction). Trusting and joining people rather than hiding out in addiction is a lot harder than chain smoking or smoking or vaping or...etc. 

0 Kudos
Maki

No excuses , you can do this @j3ffmeadowsgm . Not that you are sick , not that you feel it's obsessive compulsive . Quite likely it might hurt   but don't give that the power to ruin this amazing person you are or your quit who deserves to be free of this . Accept that these craves are healing you , not hurting . You are becoming new again . You can do it . We are here for you . Reach out any time you can't do it on your own today . You are not alone . You have a cheerleading squad of exes here for you .Great job pledging . Honour it , its a promise to yourself . 

I wish you the very best today @j3ffmeadowsgm . You deserve it . One minute , one hour , won day . 

j3ffmeadowsgm

The craves and the pain are healing me. The pain only gets worse when I smoke. I am smoking right now and it is making me sick. When I was in the hospital and going on the second day I got dizzy and did not know which end was up. I have to go through extreme withdrawal. You are right, there is not a lot to say about quitting it is all in the doing. I wish I were in the hospital right now. I had just gotten out of surgery and the anesthesia and effects of smoking made me too sick to function. I am not that sick now. I have to stop smoking. 

Thank you for helping me continue in the right mindset. I am working on my quit tonight. I am smoking less than yesterday and it is time to pull the trigger and stop.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

You can do this. One day at a time, one minute if necessary.  Practice this Breathing Exercise  Drink plenty of water.  It will amaze you what these two tools in your tool kit can do. 

0 Kudos
MarilynH

You can and will be successful one precious day at a time or hour minute or even a second at time deep breaths and believe in yourself you can do this! It's definetly not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT with commitment and perseverance you will succeed in living a life of Freedom and we're all here to help you in any way we can! @j3ffmeadowsgm 

PSX_20190825_090655.jpg

PSX_20210121_093404.jpg

maryfreecig

So true about tying a knot and hanging on!!! 🙂