cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

cath

TAKING CHANTIX to STOP CHEWING NICORETTE GUM

I quit smoking cigarettes in 2000 and was able to do it by chewing nicorette gum and/or Commit lozenges. Nine years later, and I can't stop chewing the gum. My doctor prescribed Chantix to help me kiss the gum habit goodbye. I'm on day 7 of taking Chantix which I started taking the same day I bought a 100-piece box of nicorette. As soon as the last piece of gum is gone is when my quit date will be (I've got about 20 or so pieces left). I can honestly say that this box of gum has lasted me WAY longer than normal -- usually in a week I would go through 2 boxes of Nicorette. I believe the Nicorette gum is way more addictive than cigarettes. That's just me, though.

I was wondering if anybody else is experiencing these symptoms: like you are a "dough-dough" brain; BLOATED (suddenly overnight feel as if you gained 10 lbs); headache, jittery, heightened level of irritability, hostility, HUNGRY as hell, dreams that make you feel like you ran a marathon when you wake up -- I can remember bits and pieces of these dreams and all of them involve some kind of imminent danger or peril with myself or loved ones ... weird

Can anyone tell me if this gets worse (I just started the blue pills)? Any insight on what my journey may be like -- thanks so much !

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
5 Replies
spunkie

There is a special group for people who quit with Chantix and I belong just go to my page and look at my groups then click on it and it will take you to the Chantix group I think if you join that it will help. I have no experience with the Nicorette gum I didn't know it was addictive like cig's I am so sorry to hear you have the addiction and hope the Chantix works for you .. that is what my husband and I both used we had smoked for over 45 years and the Chantix seemed like a wonder drug it work great the only problem I had was gas and I felt my up tight had some dreams but nothing bad. How many days have you been on the blue pill you may only need to take 1/2 pill in the am and 1/2 pill in the pm that is what my doctor told me to do if I had any problems with the med's and I know from the Chantix group that several people did that and it worked fine let me know how things are going.

have a wonderful day Pictures, Images and Photos
0 Kudos
spunkie

Oh I forgot remember you can always call Chantix coach if you are having problems and discuss it with them I did this several times and always with good results use their support it helps alot.
0 Kudos
cath

Thank you so much for your words of encouragement and most especially for the info on Chantix and how to join the group. It is funny you mentioned cutting the pill in half because that is exactly what I did this morning, instead of taking a whole bill pill, I cut it in half and I don't feel near as retarded as I did yesterday. The Chantix definitely takes the cravings away I know that for sure
0 Kudos
spunkie

Cath I hope the chantix works for you it was a wonder drug for me had a few side effects but worth it
hope taking 1/2 pill works for you ... I am not sure if I added you to my friends list so I am going to ask you again. Hang in there smoke free and loving it only 5 days I will be at 100 day quit can't wait.
0 Kudos
laurie37

I have been chewing Nicorette gum for 10 years whenever I couldn't smoke for several hours. I quit smoking on August 3rd but I seem to be chewing LESS gum now. I plan to switch to 2mg when this box is gone then to regular gum. I hope that will work. Although my doctor told me the gum is infinitely better than cigarettes. A friend of mine had the same symptoms on Chantix so she stopped taking it and started smoking again. I'll tell her about calling the support line and taking half.

0 Kudos