cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

c2008coolio

Suggestions for curbing cigarettes during transitions?

Through tracking my cigarettes throughout the day I realized that the majority of them are at transition times. Whenever I stop one task and start another I go outside and smoke one. My question is, what can I do, instead of smoking, during transitions. I have thought of some basic ones such as suck on a sucker, eat a hard candy, drink a bottle of water or something like that. I have tried those and haven't felt them very affective. Any other suggestions or does anyone else have experience with this? I need something that would last 3-5 minutes but that would not be super engaging as to not draw me in and I end up spending too much time one it, if that makes sense. Thanks so much!

19 Replies
elvan

They make me laugh when I stand outside blowing them...I am sure neighbors think that crazy old lady is out there blowing bubbles again, what is WRONG with her?  I DON'T care!

virgomama

i FINALLY GOT THEM ON MY SHOPPING LIST.  nOW IF I DONT FORGET MY LIST.......

elvan

virgomama‌ Yeah...those damn lists, even if you write things in different colors...if you forget the list, grrrrr!

jconfusion

I got my boyfriend and his dad bubbles for chrismas.  lol

Barbscloud

That's the reward cigarette for completing a task.  Those we're hard for me also and  you've already gotten good suggestions.  Anything that distracts you.  If you've have time, just getting on the site really helped me.

Barb

205 DOF

stAn3

Go for a quick walk, check this site for new posts, play computer games or games on the phone, read newspaper....these are things I’ve learned to do during transition periods instead of smoking.

indingrl

Run in place as fast as you can and thank God you are able to MOVE - BREATHE - AND ALIVE WITH MANY CHOICES TO LIVE ONE DAY AT A TIME-NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF EVER! YAHOOO!

SaraPeach

A quick walk, some jumping jacks/squats/planks/any kind of quick exercise, a short guided meditation video (there are a ton on YouTube), check Pinterest (although this can definitely suck me in for more than 5 minutes) or some other website you like, write down a list of things you are grateful for or just do some quick writing in a journal about whatever is on your mind, play with a pet if you have one, wash dishes or do another chore, send someone a thank you/thinking of you note or email, listen to a favorite song, make a cup of tea or coffee.

Christophina

In the early days of my quit i got a dice and listed 6 things that would take 3 minutes to do, taking me through the sometimes intense cravings.

Fill in the blanks with your own ideas or find some on here that you find inspiring or fun.

Then throw the dice and do what comes up.

I found the randomness of this compelling and it made me laugh at myself...especially when I had to go in my garden and pull a weed....in the rain.

Christophina

Oh...just noticed the date of your question c2008coolio. You’re nearly entering No Mans Land!!!

Take care, enjoy the playground for a while, keep going and don‘t look back.