Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

sandra17

Successful EXers

Finally! I'm an EX 🙂
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
285 Replies

Katie - you have many prayers. You have taken many steps - good for you! I too am a nicotene addict. I am smoke free for over 30 days now - Tuesday it will be six weeks. I am so happy and so relieved!

Not saying the monkey isn't sitting there smiling, and egging me on sometimes, but I know I have the power, and want to stay healthy for many years to come, not to mention save lots!!!

It was hard to change most of my personal rituals and habitual tasks, or the way I went about my day, but it was worth it. Once I got started, I actually coulnd't stop. Needed to get those cigarettes out of my life.
  My personal favorite substitute is cinnamon sticks - the spice.

There are many good people here for you and your husband if you need to talk or want to read what others have gone through. You are off to a great start. Keep up the good work. This website helped me personally a lot, along with whyquit.com. Remember to celebrate the milestones!!! You deserve it!
0 Kudos
lawstudent3

Hey Guys, it has now been, 11 Days! Hell Yeah, cravings are almost completely gone, i feel alot healthier already! I smoked for about 5 years, Im 23, and I wanted to get rid of it early. I was a closet smoker for awhile, but i went through months at a pack a day. Went cold turkey. I was wondering what are some great food substitutes besides gum and candy. I have been using sunflower seeds in the car (that when its sometimes tough)... any other food suggestions? I have heard cinnamon or mint toothpicks, but i can never find them? any suggestions? Other tips? I really want to be you guys, guys (and gals) with months and years smoke free. I know its something that we will all think about for the rest of our lives. We can do it though! I have never been more determined for anything more. If I can do this, year 3 of law school should be no problem!
0 Kudos

Dear Lawstudent, the cinnamon comes in sticks of course and you suck them like a stick in your mouth. Maybe a supermarket? A rubber band around the wrist and you snap it nice and stinging whenever you feel the urge; the mind replaces the urge to smoke with the sting and its negative reinforcement. Plan for the urges, see yourself as a non/anti-smoker. One day at a time.
0 Kudos
lawstudent3

Hey Mario thanks for the info. Looking forward to a nice weekend. Going on a trip with some friends (all non-smokers) who are helping to keep me on the right. Just finsihed working on a paper for 4 hours in the library, man its good not to have to go down 4 floors for a smoke break. Instead i just blew though this project. Heading home for a nice nap and some dinner.
0 Kudos
lawstudent3

2 weeks!
0 Kudos

Cinnamon sticks work great. you will find them in the spice section of most supermarkets. They are hard, but when you put them in your mouth for a little while, your saliva softens them up. They have an earthy spicey taste, and they are actually good for you.

Keep up the good work! Be proud!
0 Kudos
kim-clark

Visited American Legacy Foundation in DC yesterday. Watch the Today Show March 5th! Myself and the 2 Dads that were on January 30th 'Today Show calls it Quits" will be back on to tell how we are doing. I good laser and it is working GREAT!! American Legacy is there for anyone that needs to talk -
  Good luck to everyone!!
0 Kudos
susan58

Hi! My quit was yesterday, after 30 years of smoking. I AM an ex now, and I plan to stay that way! I'm sure glad you all are here!
0 Kudos
lawstudent3

3 Weeks guys, not one cigarette, not even one puff of one!
0 Kudos
lawstudent3

I think I have picked up a new addicition though....SUNFLOWER SEEDS! They are awesome, high in protein, and a pack is 99 cents and lasts like 6 days. Pretty Good.

Figuring that a pack of smokes in NJ is about 7.50 X 21 packs = 160 bucks saved. Which means in 3 more weeks I am going to buy something awesome for myself, either a new laptop or maybe an XBOX 360.
0 Kudos