cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

TW517

Stupid Lies You Told Yourself?

All these recent posts about our tricky minds reminded me of a dream I had last night.  I was in line at a convenience store behind a woman who asked the clerk for a pack of her cigarettes.  The clerk said it was cheaper per pack to buy a carton, and the woman said, “No thanks, I’m trying to quit.  If I buy the carton, I’ll smoke them all”.  When I woke up, I remembered how I lied to myself that way for years.  For 30 some years I always bought cartons.  Then 12 years ago, I got “serious” about quitting again.  Told myself I would only buy one pack and quit after that.  Then I bought one more pack.  Then one more.  At 15 cigarettes a day, times 365 days in a year, divided by 20 cigarettes in a pack, times 10 years – that’s 2,740 times I told myself this is the last pack I’m buying!  What's that old saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? 

Your Head.jpg

30 Replies
Maryhudzik

Lol I noticed that all my excuses I had for not smoking are the same  as everyone else's and here I thought I was the only one with this thought process