cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

TW517

Stupid Lies You Told Yourself?

All these recent posts about our tricky minds reminded me of a dream I had last night.  I was in line at a convenience store behind a woman who asked the clerk for a pack of her cigarettes.  The clerk said it was cheaper per pack to buy a carton, and the woman said, “No thanks, I’m trying to quit.  If I buy the carton, I’ll smoke them all”.  When I woke up, I remembered how I lied to myself that way for years.  For 30 some years I always bought cartons.  Then 12 years ago, I got “serious” about quitting again.  Told myself I would only buy one pack and quit after that.  Then I bought one more pack.  Then one more.  At 15 cigarettes a day, times 365 days in a year, divided by 20 cigarettes in a pack, times 10 years – that’s 2,740 times I told myself this is the last pack I’m buying!  What's that old saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? 

Your Head.jpg

30 Replies
TriGirl

Hahahaha! That's so funny I had to go back and read it. There are lots of words that could go there!!

avian3

Exactly! lol

djmurray

I filled in the blank with two words, which goes to show I've been reading too much social media!!!  I didn't realize that EX actually bleeped posts.

avian3

Lol!

0 Kudos
elvan

I always bought cartons...when I quit, I ended up giving away eight unopened packs in a carton and the one pack that was opened, I ran under water and tore the cigarettes apart.  I did not want them in my house...my quit was not scheduled, it was something I had tried to do over and over again but EX pulled me through.

Ellen

Petrey86

Man look how cool I look with this cigarette in my hand.

JACKIE1-25-15

How about I am going to quit one day.  Don't know how but I will.  I rarely bought a carton.  I was a thrifty smoker. 

TriGirl

My stupid lie was, "Well, I can still run a half marathon and complete a Sprint triathlon..." The truth is I was able to do those things in spite of the fact I smoked. In reality, I have no idea what damage my years of smoking did to me. That's a scary thought, and one that will keep me from returning to that former state of being.

Giulia

I don't think I told myself a stupid lie as I agreed to remain stupid.  I knew smoking wasn't good for me.  But I smoked anyway.  I knew I was being stupid to do so.  Stupid does as stupid is.  UNTIL I learned that this was an addiction and not just a bad habit.  Then my stupid became smart and I quit.

JACKIE1-25-15

Here Here, I know the feeling of stupid smoking.