cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JKM5849

Stop smoking products

I have tried all, but not recently.  Is there one that has been successful for most?

0 Kudos
38 Replies
Sootie

Welcome to EX. This is the best place for help and support with you quit. Reach out whenever you need us. Don't fear the quit......it is hard but doable. 

Stay Strong.

0 Kudos
dwwms

Check out the post earlier from Nancy (Youngatheart). That will give you some resources to get a plan together to quit. If you use any type of NRT, you need to follow the directions. Expect the first couple of weeks to be tough, no matter what you use.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

You are all over the place in trying to do this --- the good news is that a) you're trying, and b) we can give you the information you need to start in an educated place.

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go the the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested in My Quit Plan http://www.becomeanex.org/my-quit-plan.php

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
JKM5849

I just got the book and think it will be very helpful, as all your posts will be!  Thank you.

0 Kudos
dwwms

Good Luck - remember we are all here for you, whatever you decide is best for your quit plan. There isn't any one size fits all - but the most important thing is whatever you choose, you must be WILLING to quit. As I've heard over and over here, it's not about willpower, though you do need determination, that alone will not equal success. Looking forward to your success!

0 Kudos
elvan

JKM5849‌ PLEASE do the reading and prepare.  There is a great deal to learn about nicotine addiction and you CAN prepare for your quit.  I tracked cigarettes, wrote down every one I smoked and WHY, what the crave was.  I rated the craves...1 - 5 according to how severe they were.  Once I had identified them, I figured out ways to deal with them WITHOUT smoking.  I knew they would continue, they were not going to magically disappear, partly because of my conditioning and partly because of my addiction.  In MY opinion, there is no magic pill or patch or gum or inhaler or any other NRT that is going to make this an easy journey.  The psychological addiction is powerful, it takes time and experiences without cigarettes for your addiction to realize that it's not part of your life any more.  It's a journey and it is going to be filled with challenges AND victories.  Just like life, there will be good days and bad days, smoking will not change anything other than your health.  It doesn't fix anything, not physical pain, depression, stress, anger...ANYTHING.  Think about that every time you light up...think about WHY and then be honest with yourself about what happened, was anything resolved?  

We are all here to help you...the best NRT is EX!

Ellen

0 Kudos
Christophina

Hi everyone 

Heart racing, fuzzy head. I am ashamed to say that I just popped another half patch in my mouth. I thought I was being so clever the other evening when I thought to use a patch this way.

Thank you for all advice and guidance. I am doing the work. I do realise that I am swopping my addiction from one thing to the next and its nicotine pure and simple I will be stopping on my quit day. 

Regarding the wretched gum: 28 years ago it was only available here in England on a Doctors prescription and I chewed my way through a couple of hundred packs and stopped when I found out I was pregnant. Did not use nicotine in any form for 20 years.  Started smoking again when I met and fell in love with a smoker 5 years ago and also started chewing again.  I never found an unsweetened sugar free gum that I could use to stop my nicotine gum addiction and I am very happy to have kicked the chewing habit, especially after my last dentist bill! 

I have started a pilates class and will join a gym soon and concentrate on being as fit and healthy as I can be.  Oh and reading this website cover to cover and working on my plan  

0 Kudos
Giulia

Christophina‌  You're putting the patch IN YOUR MOUTH???  Not a good idea at all!  They're meant to be use transdermally (absorbed gradually through the skin.)  Please remove it, if you have not done so already, and rinse out your mouth thoroughly.  If you're symptoms (fuzzy headed, heart racing) increase, see a doctor - I would say - immediately.  You may be getting a huge amount of nicotine by placing in your mouth rather than on your skin.  Ingesting it is ....nicotine is a poison.  DO NOT USE THE PATCH IN THAT FASHION.  

When you cut them you probably destroy the time release factor and are speed balling nicotine.  🙂

The membrane against your skin is the timed release.

You don't waterski on your ear do you?  🙂

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

I tried them all. 

Cold Turkey was the winner for me. 

I wanted the fastest way to quit also and for me anyway, it happened once I understood the addiction and WHY it held onto me so tight. Once I educated myself on that...Cold Turkey was the only way for me to go. 

Even with all the aides and drugs available....you still need to learn the WHY... if you want true freedom

its work no matter what Route you choose. It's less work if you understand it.

0 Kudos