cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JKM5849

Stop smoking products

I have tried all, but not recently.  Is there one that has been successful for most?

0 Kudos
38 Replies
MarilynH

I'm a cold Turkey girl or maybe I'm a Smart Turkey girl because I read everything that I could here about Quitting smoking and Remaining Quit and set my quit date once and wasn't ready and reset it again and that's been 1,014 glorious days ago, thanks Thomas3.20.2010 ,welcome to the site JKM5849 stay close and read everything you can  because it'll strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb and reclaim your life, Freedom Rocks! 

0 Kudos

I used the patches. I don't know if I could've done it without them.

Sootie

I did not use anything as an aid........and as everyone above has stressed....that's what they are ----an aid......a help.....but they are not "what worked". If you quit with them....YOU WORKED! We hear so many people come on here saying I tried _______________ (fill in the blank) and it did not work! That is because they were looking for a "magic" pill or patch or gum......and there isn't any. If you could simply take a pill and not be a smoker.....no one would smoke. Seriously....no one who has smoked over one year really wants to smoke. But they DON'T want to quit because they think it will be so awful. It really isn't! It is work....no doubt about it. And the first few months can be tough. But then....it is so wonderful not to be an addict any longer. It's hard to describe how great it is. 

Thomas hit on the point that was most important to me.....beyond the stink and the social stigma and the health issues.....I HATED how much money I was spending on cigarettes. and I knew a powerful motivator would be the money I would save. I did not want to have to spend more money to quit. If there was one thing I loved about quitting, it was the money I noticed I had when I stopped paying to kill myself.

Whatever you decide....education and support are the BEST aids. You are on the right site for them.

Stay Strong

0 Kudos

Get yourself off autopilot without stressing yourself out about quitting.

/blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2016/02/17/the-quitting-game?sr=search&searchId=35bb4bff-b36... 

CrimsonQueen

I started vaping to help me quit smoking cigarettes. Now after 3 1/2 months, I'm quitting that, too. I smoked for 39 years and have tried to quit many times before, and I'm finally succeeding. I've weaned off of nicotine and my smoker's habits. This time, I decided to be kind to myself and give myself all the time I needed to quit. All I can say is that it's working!

gregp136

I used all the drugs and patches in the past, and failed. Went Cold Turkey this time, and with planning and support of the group have hit 36 days free of any nicotine.

0 Kudos
JKM5849

I appreciate all your comments and will certainly use whatever I need.  Thank you all.

pongaselo

I agree 100%. Most folks would also. Anything that helps you stop is worth looking at. Maybe we get a little overexcited about what worked for each of us, but since you are yourself and not me or anyone else here, you got it right. Anything that makes it possible for you is worth a look. Just remember that it's really on you at the end of the day. 

Christophina

Hi all 

I joined this amazing place today. 

I was addicted to nicotine gum, then gum and cigarettes for years.

I quit smoking a few weeks ago when my son who lives at home, quit by vaping and I relied on gum.

Last week I stopped chewing and used a couple of packs of microtabs.

This week I am using patches.  After 2 days I wanted to buy gum or worse.

Instead, I chopped a patch in half and popped it in my mouth.

Oh dear. How stupid am I?

I have set my quit date in two weeks time. 

I want to be free.

0 Kudos
MePlus3

Welcome to the EX family! There should be some folks here to invite you in with links and everything you need to get started 🙂 you cut a patch in half and stuck it in your mouth? Did I read that right or did you mean piece? I use the gum as a NRT as well never got addicted though have you ever tried substituting it with sugar free chewing gum or hard candies even cough drop especially the menthol flavor give off that same strong burst! Again welcome stick close to this site! 

0 Kudos