cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

karenthill

Start Day

We'll, today is my quit say!  Last night before going to bed I soaked all remaining cigarettes (21/2 packs) in water, tore them to pieces and threw them, the ashtray and my lighter in the trash!  This morning I got up and took a shower immediately to wash the smoke off my body and out of my hair, then put a patch on. I'm washing the bedding and my clothes and I sprayed the apartment with essential oil room spray, even though I didn't smoke in the apartment. Some smoke came in through the open windows and patio door.  I quit cold turkey over 30 years ago, but couldn't seem to do it this time. Last time I was busy with kids to raise...now we're retired and don't /can't do a lot, so I get bored.  But I'm gonna do this, so wish me luck and/or pray for me!!

35 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I had not found this site when I first quit, and from what I did find to read, I decided to substitute a frozen Hershey Kiss for each cigarette I used to smoke.  That worked well my first day until around 3 PM when I was nauseous from so much sugar and chocolate.  I was quite panicking!  My daughter was visiting at the time, and she brought me her iPad with Angry Birds to play.  I think I played that game nonstop for the first week!  It was a quit-saver!!!

karenthill

Today's my first day. It's noon and I've had no cravings so far.  I'm using patches, so I think that helps. I'm going to suck on a Jolly Rancher or chew a piece of SF gum when I have a craving.  I also play a lot of a games on my phone...Sims Freeplay, Spider Solitaire, and word games.

Karen  

elvan

I sucked on Sour Patch Kids and they helped me because they sort of shocked my taste buds.  I also played computer games and drank so much water that my body wondered what was going on.  It really did get easier as time passed.  I had been so sick that the first few days were spend just trying to breathe...now, I get to deal with the irreversible damage I did by smoking.

I am really glad that you drowned those cigarettes and tore them up, that really seemed to cement my commitment.  Stay close to the site, you are off to a GREAT start, I am really proud of you.

Ellen

0 Kudos
karenthill

Yes, "drowning" the cigarettes seems to have done it for me, too.  In the past I just put the pack(s) of cigarettes away somewhere.  I knew they were there and always went back.  I think this time is for good!  Only been smoking a year this time, so hopefully I didn't do too much damage.

Karen 

Strudel

Hi Karen and welcome to the site! Congrats on your quit! You can do this - be sure to stay close. 

0 Kudos
karenthill

Thanks so much for the encouragement!

Karen

On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 2:11 PM Strudel <communityadmin@becomeanex.org>

0 Kudos
prjimm01

You got this my friend.  Rock on!  NOPE and SINAO.

0 Kudos
karenthill

Thanks for the encouragement!

Karen

On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 2:22 PM jimmie-a-littrell <

0 Kudos
jonimarie

Congratulations. I did the same thing, finished the Allan Carr book had a cigarette and cut the rest up with a scissors and poured water on them and walked out to the dumpster. Hang in there you can do this

karenthill

Thanks so much for your encouragement!

Karen

On Sat, Jun 1, 2019 at 4:50 PM jonimarie <communityadmin@becomeanex.org>

0 Kudos