cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

scott22

Some days are harder than others

i 'officially quit' 11 days ago - it wasnt really planned though i'd been wanting to quit since i first started smoking 3 years ago. the thing is, i REALLY want a cigarette now and every day. i wanted to quit b/c it is not healthy, it smelled bad, there is a social stigma associated with it, etc. but i miss smoking. dont get me wrong, i dont miss feeling bad, being out of breath, having my heart race and pound after smoking and i really do not want to start again, but it is such a strong addiction, both physical and mental, not to mention a tough habit to get out of.

my wife (we've been married since january) wanted me to quit but she was willing to wait until i retire next year - so she is being very supportive.

i guess the thing that really helped me quit this time (and in the past i have tried chantix and zyban) is the high cost of gas! i started riding my bicycle to the train station each day to catch the train into work and boy could i tell that my lungs were crappy from smoking. within the first week of not smoking i began to feel the difference on my bike ride home after work. this really helps to fight the serious cravings that i still get. how long will i continue to have these cravings?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott22

Thanks!
0 Kudos
scott22

Hey, thanks for the words and letting me know when i can expect this to end. even before i started smoking i was having cravings - i think from when i was a kid, b/c my dad smoked and i guess i got enough of the 2nd hand smoke to get a taste of it. plus, as i got older i found that sometimes i felt like i needed to have a cigarette hanging out of my mouth the way my dad did when he was working outside and stuff.

so i really hope that after 4 months or so of this i can rid myself of the cravings that i have brought on myself from my own smoking.
0 Kudos