cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jlp5564

So if I “slip”, and have a cigarette, do I change my quit date?

Im a new quitter! Had a slip with two smokes. Do I need to set a new quit date due to “slippage”?

67 Replies
jlp5564

So true. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

I have never believed in slips...slips are something you wear under a dress or a bad fall on ice is what I always say, but whatever, you got plenty of great advice and the thing I want you to get from this is to understand the WHY behind the 'er, slip' so you recognize it coming the next time and 'cover up better so your legs don't show or you don't fall and break a bone', hahaha.

You did good coming here and using the site to lead you! Stick around, we will get through this. We have all been there

JACKIE1-25-15

Ditto on the slips

jlp5564

Thank you! Great reply!!! I’m so grateful!

Sent from my iPhone

Barbscloud

Your decision, but I would I reset my quit date.  I would feel like I'm being dishonest with myself.   You're also being honest by coming here and admitting you "slipped".  So, I think you already knew the answer for yourself.   Get right back on board.  You can do this.

Barb

YoungAtHeart

I would like to add just two things to all of the good responses.  If you don't hold yourself accountable to honor your quit date, won't it be easier to do it again - and maybe again??  It's a slippery slope.

It took a LOT of decisions to smoke those two cigarettes. You had to:

1)  Give in and give yourself permission to smoke them.

2)  Rationalize that decision.

3)  Get in the car and drive to the store to buy them.

4)  Park and walk into the store to buy them.

5)  Ask for them at the counter.

6)  Pick up a lighter.

7)   Pay for them.

😎  Walk back and get in the car.

9)   Open up the pack.

10)  Take the first one out.

11)  Unwrap the lighter.

12)  Put the cigarette into your mouth.

13)  Light it.

14)  Inhale.

15) Repeat from #12 again.

I list the decisions so you understand you had 14 opportunities not to give in to the addict within.  At any point you could have chosen to do something ELSE, like going for a quick walk, or marching in place, or counting the red/blue things you see, or some slow/deep breathing or coming here and blogging "HELP" or a myriad of other things.

(If you had them around, that was a bad idea, and just gave yourself permission to smoke them.  When you quit again, throw out ALL your cigarettes after putting them under running water , smashing them up in the and putting them in the trash. If they were available because you have a smoker around, ask them to keep them out of your sight and to keep the ashtray and lighters hidden, as well.) 

Let's make this your final quit  Change that date, then decide you will not smoke another cigarette  NO MATTER WHAT - and honor that decision each and every minute of each and every day.  Remind yourself that this does get easier - but you must give it the time it takes.

Nancy

jlp5564

❤️

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Reset your date to reflect the truth because the truth is important to you, your smobriety and every quitter. If I suggested to you that having two cigarettes wasn't really smoking because it was just two and then it was over, well, then I'd also be saying the same to myself (and anyone else in EX). I can't do that. I just know in my heart that quitting means no smoking one day at a time--no exceptions. But Ex isn't about shame, blame, just the truth. Don't smoke, reset your date and be satisfied with the truth.

jlp5564

Lovely! I did start over ( reset)

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone

jlp5564

❤️

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos