cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jlp5564

So if I “slip”, and have a cigarette, do I change my quit date?

Im a new quitter! Had a slip with two smokes. Do I need to set a new quit date due to “slippage”?

67 Replies
avian3

Checking In Ostrich.jpgTIM? This was his avatar.

Tim was a guy from the old forum. He was a big part of my quit. He was always straightforward and wasn't a cuddly type, which was exactly what I needed at the time. Unfortunately, he passed away along with 5 others that passed that were also such a help to me when I first quit.

Giulia

This was just something I found on the internet that I've used over the years here.  Have no idea who Tim was.  Of which old forum are you speaking?  Wow, and he and five others have passed away.  I'm sorry, birdie.

avian3

QSMB, the one I could no longer hang onto by myself. I have seen the photo many places. It just reminded me of him.

It seems sad that 6 have all died. It's a reminder to cherish and appreciate the friends that have helped you remain quit and all the wonderful people you have met here and become close friends with.

Giulia

It's a reminder to cherish and appreciate the friends that have helped you remain quit and all the wonderful people you have met here and become close friends with.

Yup.  I don't think I ever stop appreciating the people here and those of yore who wished I had quit.  They are our gift, and the gift we give back is by remaining true to that best part of us that they helped nourish.  

0 Kudos
abbynormal42

You have already gotten some great replies. Here are my two cents, for what they're worth...

Ask yourself--what does your quit date mean to you?

My quit date is the first day after I took my very last puff. Why am I so strict on this? For a couple of reasons:

1.) I was hooked from the very first puff. I didn't enjoy my first cigarette. No. I coughed and hacked my way through it. Why? Because that first puff awakened the nicotine receptors in my brain, which immediately began screaming for more. So a single puff became the chains that bound me like a slave to addiction for more than a decade.That's what one puff can do.

2.) I threw away some really lengthy quits in the past, because I thought I could have "just one." But that first puff (yet again) awakened my inner addict and gave her life. And, as we all know, that inner addict is a loud-mouthed piece of work who wants what she wants and will do anything to get it. Once she's revived by that single hit of nicotine, she whines, whimpers, and cries until we feed her more...and more...and more. A single puff will have you up to your usual habit in no time.

So my quit date is very important to me. I know in order to keep my quit, I can never take another puff. Not one single puff. Ever again.

You are very fortunate that you got right back on your quit after two cigarettes. Good job. Now keep that quit! This is life or death stuff here!

jlp5564

❤️Thank u

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
Legend

jlp5564  I hope you let us all grab onto your hand and pull you back up. This place is your safe place to learn about your addiction.  We all know what you are going through and you can talk to us anytime. You can do this keep telling yourself you can. The past is in the past let it go and start on a new path. Come on if you have any smokes left please toss them out of your life for good. Life can be good without smokes.

jlp5564

Wow! Thanks so much. I feel your caring and kindness.

Sent from my iPhone