cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Hyhy6474

Smokeless in Brooklyn

Hi am on day 2 of my life as a ex-smoker... STRESS is a major trigger point for me Any time I go thru something  I  reach for a cigarette I am using the lozenges and the patch does anyone have any other options or suggestions for me to utilize what works for you  when you are triggered 

Thank you 

Helen Y

Tags (1)
17 Replies
Barbscloud

Welcome and congrats on day 3 smoke free.  I kept busy, walked, used Sour Patch Kids, chewed on straws and most importantly spent time on the Ex reading and posting.   Support plays a big role for many successful quits.  Reach out if you need help.

Barb

Hyhy6474

Day 4 and I am doing so so. My family members so negative like oh you're going to go back you're going to pick up again you're full of poop you're going to smoke anyway I guess cuz I quit so many times and I pick back up that people don't believe that I'm going to stay quit but I'm determined no matter what.

Talk to Text does not have punctuation. LOL I'm deep breathing I'm sucking on mints and nicotine lozenge using the patch. Doing whatever it takes to make sure that I keep not smoking. I'm drinking more water. I feel more alive more energetic believe it or not I have more energy more I could breathe

YoungAtHeart

Congrats on getting through the first four days.  That's HUGE!

I want to lend some caution to your use of both the patch and lozenges.  Be careful you are not ingesting more nicotine than when you smoked.  Each cigarette had about 1 mg in it - so if you are using a 21 mg patch, that's equal to a pack-a day without adding in a bunch of lozenges.  It will help if you keep busy,  keep distracted and limit use of them, if you can, to the times where it's either a lozenge or a cigarette.   Be careful you aren't subbing a lozenge for every cigarette you used to smoke.  It's easy to just trade one addiction for another.

You'll get the hang of this - just keep at it!!!

Keep going!

Nancy

Hyhy6474

I agree which is why I bought some breath mints instead of using the lozenges. I also developed a sore in my mouth from them so I am not going to risk hurting my mouth or getting nicotine poisoning the mints are fine. And I bought sugar free ones. Thank you however for the advice I appreciate it

SuzyQ411

deep breathe icon.gif A good deep breathing exercise. I often hold two fingers to my lips on the inhalation part--like I'm smoking-- then remove my fingers for the exhale. It works well for me. Also, what great tips have been given in the above posts. Try them out and see what ones work for you and discard the rest. Your main goal is Not One Puff Ever (NOPE)  No matter what (NMW)! Congrats on the work you've done so far, and remember: once you had that last cigarette you became a non-smoker 🙂

Barbscloud

Big congrats on day 4.  You're on your way to a successful quit.   Follow the instructions on your NRT and you'll be fine.  You'll wean yourself off of them as you move forward.   Chewing on straws has also been helpful for many.  I would destroy them!

Don't let your family bring you down.  Many of us have multiple attempts, so I guess it's understandable those close to us would be skeptical.  Prove them wrong this time and I'm sure they'll be celebrating with you. It's important to remember it's your quit, no one else's.  I'm sure it's been said already, but we're going to have stress in our lives whether we smoke or not.  It's learning new ways to deal with it.   You can do it.

Remember we believe in you and are here to support you.  That's what this site is all about.  We enjoy sharing in your celebrations.  Stay close.  

Barb

SuzyQ411

What great news Hyhy6474‌... lean in to us for positive vibes abd support..your family will come along in time. Hang tight. Keep on keeping on. We are here for you.

indingrl