cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Cmcbryant1

Smoked after stopping for 46 hrs

Jump to solution

Hi everyone. I’m not sure if it’s ok if I post here. Today I picked up like I didn’t stop for 46 hours. I read a book that says it is best to not use nicotine replacements. I feel like if I used them I could have quit for good. There are a lot of things happening in my life that will be new and I have a mental illness. I find it hard to stabilize my moods and can’t use medicines to help because they react with the ones I have to take. I guess I’m just looking for support and advise. Is it “weaker” or less likely to stop smoking if I use nicotine replacements? 

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Giulia

"Is it “weaker” or less likely to stop smoking if I use nicotine replacements? "  Simple answer is:  no.  Some of us prefer nicotine replacement therapy, some of us prefer cold turkey.  Some of us have used NRT's (nicotine replacement therapy) to conquer our addiction, some of us have continued to use them way past the time necessary.  The point being - you use whatever method works for you.  If one doesn't, then you try another.  But do check out the contraindications of NRT's with whatever drugs you might be taking for your mental problems.  

There are a lot of things that happen and continue to happen in all of our lives that upset us extremely.  With or without having a mental illness. The challenge is to figure out how to deal with them WITHOUT smoking.  There is no one way to quit as there is no weaker way to quit.  Quitting is quitting - whatever the method.

I have failed more times than I can tell you after saying to myself "this is it, tonight I quit."   It's when I made the commitment "out loud" so to speak, to a group such as this, that I began to hold myself accountable.

You quit for 46 hours.  And I'll bet you counted just about every one of them.  lol  That's more than many have been able to do.  Keep working at it.  If it becomes your priority - you WILL succeed.  But it takes work.  Glad you haven't given up the fight!

And yes, it's definitely OK to post here!  Keep doing it.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Giulia

"Is it “weaker” or less likely to stop smoking if I use nicotine replacements? "  Simple answer is:  no.  Some of us prefer nicotine replacement therapy, some of us prefer cold turkey.  Some of us have used NRT's (nicotine replacement therapy) to conquer our addiction, some of us have continued to use them way past the time necessary.  The point being - you use whatever method works for you.  If one doesn't, then you try another.  But do check out the contraindications of NRT's with whatever drugs you might be taking for your mental problems.  

There are a lot of things that happen and continue to happen in all of our lives that upset us extremely.  With or without having a mental illness. The challenge is to figure out how to deal with them WITHOUT smoking.  There is no one way to quit as there is no weaker way to quit.  Quitting is quitting - whatever the method.

I have failed more times than I can tell you after saying to myself "this is it, tonight I quit."   It's when I made the commitment "out loud" so to speak, to a group such as this, that I began to hold myself accountable.

You quit for 46 hours.  And I'll bet you counted just about every one of them.  lol  That's more than many have been able to do.  Keep working at it.  If it becomes your priority - you WILL succeed.  But it takes work.  Glad you haven't given up the fight!

And yes, it's definitely OK to post here!  Keep doing it.

Cmcbryant1

Thank you so much! I needed this. I’m trying again today. You have been a great help! 

MarilynH

Welcome to the community @Cmcbryant1 stay close and reach out whenever you need to or just want to vent we're all here to help you in any way we can, read everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb its not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT with commitment and perseverance you will perservere through whatever comes your way and you'll do one precious day at a time or hour minute or even a second at time deep breaths you've got this.....

Barbscloud

@Cmcbryant1 Welcome.  It's a choice, but many of us have used nicotine replacement to quit.  You still have to do the work, but an aid can making quitting easier in the early stages.  Don't feel weak.  This is hard and we can use all the help we can get.  The end result is the same--we're ex-smokers.

Here's a good place to start to create a quit plan and learn about nicotine addiction.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Reach out for support before you smoke.  It works!

Barb

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex! You'll find loads of help and information here. There are a few who stump for cold turkey as the best way to quit, but the reality is that what will work for you is yours to call. It's good that you are keeping an open mind and considering opinions,  but you have every right to choose your way out of nicotine addiction. 

I suggest that you write out a list of things to-do so that when a crave comes along you have a readymade list to go to and choose something without having to think about it too much.

0 Kudos

I have been a serial quitter, but I realized that if I just have one puff or one cigarette, I’m back to having to do this over and over. When the cravings stopped I thought that I would be able to handle just one. That one is both too much and never enough. We honestly can never look at another cigarette again. I regret picking just one up. I’m on day 8. You can conquer this, just take it one day, one hour at a time. 

BabyBooBoo2u

Don't give up..  I quit  for 1 month and some days  up to a month and 1 week  then smoked in between for 3 times then went back to it till the following year.  When I quit for hopefully the last time whuch was July 19 of 2021. I  used NRT for  about 7 months.  For me I  started out   strong on the  lozenges  but  then  went from 6 hours back  and forth to every hour.  The  patch for me  left md moody and  used fir a few days but finally  the  doctor  said no lozenge refills  so  I  cried for 3 days  during  final withdrawal and  totally  isolated  and  kept  calling the quitline   till I got  through it.   Can't believe  I have  over a  year  now.   Have  to avoid  friends  while  they smoke  cuz  the smell makes me  want  to,  but  also  is one the  reasons  I use as a  deterrant  that helps me  get past the  urges or cravings. Sending  strength and  determination...  Keep  quitting and  some day  you  won't have to keep resetting  your date. 🤞💪

ReallyReal

@Cmcbryant1  Hi!  So glad you haven't given up on quitting.  I too struggle with serious mental health issues, schizophrenia.  I was so scared to try to quit because I thought it would end up triggering a severe episode and I'd end up back in a psych hospital.  That hasn't happened and I have 32 days under my belt.

It wasn't easy and I think it was on Day 3 that things seemed too intense so I went and got nicotine gum.  That helped me immensely.  And the good news is that at this point I only use 3 or 4 pieces of gum a day.  I thought cold turkey was the way to go but decided that quitting was too important and I needed help to quit.  You will find what makes most sense for you, with the important goal being quitting.

And as I've read more about nicotine addiction, I've learned that quitting has great benefits for not only physical health but mental health as well.  I did talk to my case manager before quitting and she has been checking in with me once in awhile.  You may want to let your care providers know that you are quitting in case any medication adjustments are needed.

You can do this.  ---Raissa

0 Kudos