Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

sean13

Sleeping difficulties?

Hey guys,
Just a quick question.

I haven't smoked in about 3 days...I quit on April 27th.
However, I have difficulty falling asleep at night and wake up every few hours...nothing serious, but it's like I can't really fall ASLEEP, you know?

I was wondering if the cigarettes had anything to do with this what with all the nicotine etc...Anybody else have this experience? And if so, any ideas of when I'll regain my normal sleep patterns?
Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it!
-Sean
0 Kudos
3 Replies
kat19

hey sean - i am having the same problem. i'm on day 8 - has it gotten any better for you yet? its driving me nuts! sleep difficulties are associated with nicotine withdrawal... but i'm using gum so i don't get it!!! ACH!!! best of luck!! 😄
0 Kudos
liz19

You are certainly through with the physical part of the withdrawl - your body no longer has nicotine in it!! However, now it's all mind games. That's the hard part, but know that by delaying the urges for 3 minutes, you'll get past them.

I had the same problems the first week to week and a half of my quit. I'd go to sleep so early, and wake up every couple of hours and never really get into a good sleep. But that will pass, it's your body readjusting and healing. Take your free days and rest rest rest. Drink lots of water, and if tylenol PM will work for you, take a couple of that. Certainly is better than smoking! Drink warm milk, or take a hot bath (I know that's girly, but hey, it works! and you'll smell fantastic) before you go to bed. That may help you relax. 😃 Also, keep in mind caffiene effects you differently when you stop smoking, it's more potent - so try not to drink a lot of coffee, or sodas during the day.

Hope that helps! You'll get back to normal soon I swear!! And you'll feel SOOO much better!

I have been quit for 3 Weeks, 1 Day, 13 hours, 24 minutes and 1 second (22 days). I have saved $90.31 by not smoking 496 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 17 hours and 20 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 5/5/2008 8:30 PM
0 Kudos
lizzo

I took benadryl when I couldn't sleep... I only had to take it for about 3 days. I believe the active ingredient in Unisom is diphenhydramine which is.... benadryl.!! My doctor actually okayed my using benadryl... But to answer your question, yes sleep trouble is part of the deal.. but it does go away and sleep becomes good again.
0 Kudos