cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kev2

Sick and tired of being sick and tired....

Hey everyone. I'm Kevin. I've been smoking for 15 years now and i'm sick of it. How frustrating is it to have something as bad as nicotine take total control of one's life? Over the years I have tried every method know to man to quit. You name it and i've tried it. I dont know if i'm just too weak minded to quit or what, but I have to make quitting a reality once and for all. I've set my quit date for May 12th so that should give me plenty of time to get prepared and to give everyone I know fair warning that I'm not going to be a very pleasant person to be around for a while. lol

Anyways, I look forward to meeting as many people as I can on here. I'm gonna need all the help I can get. haha
0 Kudos
9 Replies
nancy23

Welcome Kevin! Read thru the whole website and follow their plan. It really helps. I smoked for 30 years and quit numerous times. It usually takes smokers many times trying to finally quit. This time it's been 3 weeks and I feel this is really it. I use the patch and Wellbutrin. I found out here that you can also use the Commit lozenge along with the patch. Just use the lozenges when a bad craving hits. This has helped me immensely. I also work out at the gym a lot or just walk the neighborhood cuz I can't go to the gym every time I want to smoke. LOL. Anyway, just wanted to add my support and convey a few things I've learned.

We all need all the help we can get. Good luck to you and all of us.

Nancy
0 Kudos
steve-gillson

What's happening Kevin? Looks like we're fairly close to the same age and have been smoking for about the same amount of time... We'll be facing the same challenges. It can be done, though... my mom is currently on her 4th month smoke-free, and she smoked 2-3 packs a day for nearly 40 years. Feel free to hit me up if you need somebody to talk you out of a craving! Good luck! 🙂
0 Kudos
lily

Hi Kevin,
I haven't set my quit date yet. But I'm not waiting much longer. I hate anything controlling me and cigarettes surely do. I am going to use the patch too. I used it once before and quit for 6months. 3 months on the patch and another 3 with no patch and then I wussed out. Been smoking for 4 decades. I say it like that cuz I think it sounds worse that 40yrs. Both are pretty horrible. My brother just found out he has lung cancer and we are all freaked. So the more people we can get on on side for support the better right. Nice to meet you Kevin and best of luck to you!
0 Kudos
becca5

I had no idea that so many people feel as strongly as I do about having given up control for so long--I smoked about 10 years, and i'm 10 days into quitting. I'm a little cranky sometimes, but not as often as I expected. The feeling of power over my nicotine receptors has got me on a bit of a high. I feel like a superhero! Good luck finding your own power.
0 Kudos
nancy23

Good luck to you Becca. I'm loving finding my own power too. It's been 3 weeks for me after seven attempts in three years. ..quiting for two weeks to two months. This time I feel stronger and this site has helped immensely. Let's all support each other.
0 Kudos
kev2

The only thing i'm really worried about is my job is pretty stressful. I do I.T. work for one of the big oil corporations in Houston and if something goes wrong it can make for a very stressful day. In other words I tend to take quite a few smoke breaks. haha Looks like I will have to find another way to relieve stress at the office.
0 Kudos
nancy23

Yeah, stress is a real trigger for most of us. Check out this site for alternative ways in dealing with stress. If I can speed walk I do that. Taking slow deep breaths help. Just figure out what will work for you.
0 Kudos
kimberly16

Hi Kevin, and becca;
I agree with your mention of the receptors, i noticed in the first few days, and even still now, how the nicotine will mess with you in your body to try and get you to smoke. it was a teeth gritting battle- and you can do it!
The awareness building on this site is amazing- just use the tools, and stay on top of yourself- just as how you are sometimes your own worst enemy- you can also be your own secret weapon!
0 Kudos
laura58

Man, do I know where you are comming from! I am on day 3 here. Sort of started in the 21st, but was still smoking on and off. This past monday I said that is it. I have tried it all too. The diference this time? I don't know really, I am just ready. I WANT to quit. Yea I feel like I NEED a smoke but I keep telling my self I don't want one. It's hard, REALLY hard, but the mind is a powerful thing and it's a lot of will power and mental determination. Always think about why you are doing this. Oh and Yelling, having a fit and just going a little batty help. Just DON't Light up and, do it when no one is around. You'll either get someone upset unintentionally, or they will think you have truely lost it. find a way to release that anxiety of not having a smoke.

Keep telling youself you are strong and you deserve more than a cig can give. YOU ARE IN CONTROL not USA GOLD ULTRA LIGHT 100'S (that's what I smoked)
0 Kudos