cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

debbie-bishop

Should we be tested for lung cancer?

At our age most of us have smoke for 30 years or more. There is a new lung cancer test and it is supposed to detect cancer earlier than any other so you have a better chance to survive it. I hear it is very expensive but I wondered what you thought about it. Has anyone had it done or talked to their doctor about it? My uncle quit when he was 50 only to die of lung cancer at 75. That really scares me.

Moochie
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
nan7

Hey Moochie, Personally, I don't have the money for a test like that. Looks like your uncle lasted 25 years after he quit smoking. I would say that is pretty good. I figure when my time is up, it is up. The only reason that I quit is to have a better quality of life while I am still around. I am not expecting miracles. I do expect their will be some price I will have to pay, but I am not going to worry about it.
Just me, nancy
0 Kudos
debby4

I've been wondering the same thing. Frankly I enjoy smoking (and I've been quit for almost 2 days). I personally know 2 people who died from lung cancer who never smoked. Not much motivation there. I felt fine while i was smoking, could do anything i wanted strength & stamina wise and did not expose anyone else to my second-hand smoke. So why quit? Because I don't want to get lung cancer! If I already have it, I might as well keep on smoking maybe. If i don't, then now is a great time to quit cuz then maybe I've prevented myself from getting it. I'll be plenty pissed if I go through all this quitting and end up with lung cancer anyway. I intend to find out about this test and talk to my Dr. about it.
0 Kudos
becky16

Hi Moochie,

I never heard of this test either. Wish I had. My best friend just passed away from lung cancer. Perhaps if we had known about the test they could have saved his life. I think the test might be worthwhile to have. Of course, I suppose it depends on the cost and if one's insurance will pay for it. I'll ask my Dr. about it. Presently, I have an x-ray once a year. That isn't the best but at least it's something. I feel very fortunate that so far I'm free from lung cancer. I smoked 37 years, but quit over a year ago. Don't know what tomorrow will bring, but I can't dwell on it either. I'll just take one day at a time and treat each one of those days as precious.
0 Kudos
debby4

thanks Linda, let us know what the doc says...:) 5 days for me and it feels pretty good! I admire your quit and will follow in your footsteps. keep on keeping on
0 Kudos
becky16

Hi Linda Mc!

CONGRATULATIONS ON MAKING IT THROUGH ANOTHER DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We all have someone who inspires us to change something in our lives. Isn't it wonderful you have a brother who inspires you? I'm so proud of you for remaining smoke free.. you'll never regret it. If you like to read, there is a book called The Greatest Miracle on Earth by Og Mandino. It was one of my inspirations to help me on the road to recovery. It might make it easier for you too... It's a book you won't be able to put down.
Anyway, HAVE A WONDERFUL, HAPPY, SMOKE FREE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
becky16

Sounds very familiar. I have many myself and enjoy reading them every so often. Like you I need plenty of bookcases. Hehee! I have some very old cookbooks and two medical books from the 1800's, as well as, various other books. Happy reading!!!
0 Kudos
debby4

No NRT's but using Chantix...seems to be working. Thanks for the support and the inspiration 🙂
0 Kudos