cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mercedes_3478

Should I be using patches or something?

I decided to stop using nicotine today and I wanted to join a community to help encourage me, I feel that cold turkey will be best for me as I have only been vaping for two years, should I buy the nicotine gum or nicotine patches? 

8 Replies
RoseH

I smoked for 50 years  @mercedes_3478 and I quit “Cold Turkey” as we call it, when we do not use Nicotine Replacement therapy (NRT)...  May I suggest you get and read the book by Allen Carr, entitled “The Easy Way To Quit Smoking”.  He likes “cold turkey”.  If you use an NRT you will still have to do through a “withdrawal period” when you stop the NRT.

I will send you my Quit Kit from the old Quitnet.com in a private message to you after I end this comment.  It will help you make a plan to quit and keep it!

I feel totally “complete” without a butt so you can do it!  It is a freedom I do not want to give up!  The addiction to Nicotine is very strong and all I did when I smoked was to think about “when” can I have another cigarette.  No way to live.  I feel much better,, even though I got COPD from smoking.  Our bodies are miraculous in that “they” know exactly what to do to heal us, when we quit!  If I can help you in any way, do contact me...  I am here to give back this wonderful gift of quitting!  Rosemary

Cousin-Itt

Congratulations on deciding to quit I promises you it is the best health decision you ever made.

The best way to quit depends upon you.  Some have quit by using the patch or other form of NRT such as gum / lozenges Other have gone to their doctor used prescription medication like Chantix or Zyban  While others have gone cold turkey.  Maybe talk to your doctor    Not matter which way you go the best way to quit is thru knowledge and support.  Knowing what to expect both the physical and psychological and being prepared to handle the craves Being prepared

Yes quitting takes a little work but is very doable  and Yes you can do it 

Carl

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your decision to quit.  How you quit is really up to you.  There are successful quitters on this site that have quit cold turkey, used NRT or used medications.  I used Welbutrin, nicotrol inhalers, and the support on this site. 

Whatever you decide, the important thing is to educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan.  My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX An aid has helped many , but you still have to do the work.  We're here to support you.  Just reach out if you need encouragement and to share your journey.

You can do this one day at a time.

Barb

Here's some information on NRT that you might find helpful

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/people/Barbscloud/blog/2020/02/01/nicotine-replacement-wrong-or-r... 

sweetplt

Good Morning and Welcome to Ex’s mercedes_3478 

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking.  You have received some great advice above me, do the suggested readings and work to determine what is the best plan for you.  We are here to help, keep close to the support site...Happy Tuesday ~ Colleen 631 DOF 

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

So glad you have joined us and have decided to quit vaping.  Although primarily a smoking cessation site, I have seen a huge increase in the number of people coming for help to break free from vaping. You will need to substitute “vape” or “device” as you do the reading I will recommend. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Because vaping is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than regular tobacco products - but it CAN be done!

After you have completed the reading I will recommend, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort after you have tried to delay and distract.   I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  You need to start out with a plan to reduce use of them over time - which the patch does by decreasing the dose contained in them..  For the gum, you can start by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.  For the lozenge, you need to start subbing a mint in between to begin, increasing the number of them over time.

I highly recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind.   To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . Vaping was not a concern when this was written, so you will need to sub “vape”as necessary. This is an easy and entertaining read which can be found online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "Juul" or “vape,” or “device.”   The one thing different I would recommend is that you first start to reduce the nicotine content of the pods.  Start with a lesser amount in, like, one in every four, then three, etc. until you are only using the smallest amount, or reduce the amount of nicotine in the pods over time. That way the physical withdrawal should be more manageable. You might find useful information, as well, here: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/quitting-e-cigarettes.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each device use, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each use off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a puff just because you think you do.  Understanding that autopilot vs. "need" is an important first step in this process.

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take a quick walk at break time instead of vaping.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

elvan

I did not use any NRT & l smoked for 47 years. I have nothing against NRT, it just wasn’t for me. This addiction is insidious & you really need to stay close to the site, do all of the reading, & then understand that quitting is a journey & not an event. One day at a time!

Welcome to EX.

Ellen

beazel

Congratulations on your smart decision to quit vaping!!!

If you are leaning toward Cold Turkey - go for it. Worked for me.

Keep us posted - we are here for you.

Jono28

I started with NRT, and a lot of it. A patch supplemented by nicotine gum every hour on the hour.

Although I didn't smoke, for me, it seemed like it was dragging out the process and reminding me (as if we need reminding early on in our quits) of the fact that I couldn't smoke. 

After day 6 I took the patch off and gave all of my NRT to my still-smoking brother-in-law just in case he wants to try with it in the future.

I can't say it was easy as reading through my blog will show you, but it worked. Easy, hard, with NRT or without it...you just have to commit to quit and understand that smoking isn't an option for you moving forward. No Matter What.

Stay strong and stay close.

Jono

GenX Jono