cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Setting a goal

I read somewhere that when you quit smoking it's important to set a goal / goals for yourself. So I set a daily goal - I will not smoke today. At the end of each day, I smile and congratulate myself for my success. However, it's not easy. Yesterday (day 9) was an "evil addiction" fight in my head. I thought I'm doing good - why can't I just smoke one cigarette a day? Impossible!! I know myself ... and I've been down this path before. For me, I am unable to smoke just one cigarette a day. One puff leads to one pack. So I fought with the addiction all day yesterday and I WON! I didn't smoke.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
candylance

WTG, Beth!! Keep setting small goals for yourself. Don't try to drink ten gallons of water a day. Maybe 2-3. Keep your hands busy. Everytime I feel really 'squirrely' I go to the computer. Takes away anxiety but I am RETIRED. KEEP WINNING!!!

CANDY      10     DOF

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Good for you!  btw- no one can smoke just one cigarette after they have quit.  Nicotine is an addictive substance, and the law of addiction states:

"Administration of a drug to an addict will cause re-establishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance."

Chain smoking may not immediately follow that one cigarette but, over time, everyone finds themselves as addicted as before they quit. 

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
djmurray

Hi, Beth -- You did great!!  I'm having a bit of the same problem today -- that old nicodemon is sneaky and has been whispering in my ear very seductively most of today.  I haven't had to deal with this since Day 8 (and today is Day 21) but there it is.  I am working on not fighting back, just letting it be white noise, and I am succeeding.  But if I didn't have this site to come to when I'm feeling shaky and if I hadn't really come to grips with the FACT that smoking is NOTHING, I could have slipped. 

We're doing it together and we will succeed!!

0 Kudos
Brenda_M

Great job, Beth! We're all a puff away from a pack a day!

0 Kudos

Smokers don't get to smoke. they have to smoke

0 Kudos
Strudel

Congrats on your quit! Stay close here! 

0 Kudos