cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

miranda2

September 30th for me...hopefully

Hi I am new to Ex and really need support in trying to get my mind frame right. I have bronchitis and have been getting this for the past two years. I am scared, the doctor has put me on several steroids, inhalers, a nebulizer and antibiotics. It's the same as last year, I want to beat this. I know I have to quit for my health. Last year I quit for a few months but picked it back up. My husband is a smoker too and it makes it really really hard to stay a quitter. He has looked into medications for himself but the one he was prescribed to is very expensive. I really need helping hands to beat this stupid addiction and I know through other smokers I can find that inner strength. It is hard to relate to non smokers when they say " You have to quit" because even though I am sick they have no idea how hard it is. I'd appreciate any hopeful thoughts or suggestions that you may have. Thank you.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
miranda2

Thank you so much for your kind words they really do help! I need all the encouragement I can get!
0 Kudos
larua

Miranda,

Make a list of all the reasons you would like to quit. Here's one you probably didn't even think of. Your health should be number one, but if money is a motivation to you, think of how much you will save by not buying smokes, AND on all of those doctor bills and home equipment.

If you can handle this and it is at all possible, find someone (a friend's parent, friend-of-a-friend, or someone in your own family) who is battling lung cancer, or emphysema, or any other smoking related illnesses. Speak to them. You have obviously had many respiratory issues due to smoking. Visit someone who will show you where you will be if you don't quit.

My father is on an inhaler. My grandma carried an oxygen tank at all times and used a nebulizer every day for 10 years because of emphysema. She always looked so miserable and frail. It really took away her golden years. I myself battled bronchitis for 6 months. It turned into pneumonia twice in that time. I almost lost my very nice restaurant job because I couldn't quit coughing.

For your husband, the doctor will always prescribe whats new and what's hot. When I tried to quit last time, I explained to my family doctor that I was having financial dificulties. Ask for samples, or cupons. My doc wanted to put me on wellbutrin xl 300mg (a once daily), which at the time was 140/month. We ended working out something a lot more affordable. Wellbutrin generic 100mg, 3 times a day for 35/month. Your doctor will work with you! They want you to quit too!

Take care of yourself and get better.
Laura
0 Kudos