cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Separation ideas for when I take the dog out?

I am new to this site (today). I have read the every bit of info, started tracking my cigarettes, and set my quit date. I am a stay at home mom. I never smoke in the house. I have started thinking of separation ideas for after meals, etc. But I am housebreaking a new puppy and I am having trouble thinking of things to do when I take her out. I would love if I could just have someone else do it, but my husband works all day and my older kids are in school...any ideas?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
peanut4

get some binoculars - count birds.  If that's not an option, try to take in all of the different green stuff, next time try counting the brown stuff, etc.  Ha, not the dog's droppings, but the colors of nature.  if the color thing doesn't work, try sounds - something sensory.

0 Kudos
ana4

*take your phone and call a friend !!!

*grab your water bottle

Good luck!

0 Kudos
doubleji

Today is  my quit date & I had my kiddos take the dog out...that's a tough one! Try Lollipops, or sunflower seeds when walking him....be strong, good luck!

0 Kudos
nomore2010

Yea...I know what you mean..that's really hard.  I talk on the phone and try not to think about it....hope it helps!! 

0 Kudos
mbowley

I am just joining today. I thought I was the only one who feels like they need to smoke while out with their dog! I am going to try to suck on small pretzle sticks (pretending like it's a cig.) I am going to look weird but how cool does it look to be sucking on a poison stick? good luck to you and let me know what works!

0 Kudos

Thanks, I will try all of the above! It's still not my quit date, but I am really trying to plan ahead and be prepared. I only smoke outside, and if I didn't have the dog I just wouldn't go out unless I had to. That would be easy right now since it's so cold. But unless I can train the puppy to go in the toilet, I gotta go out lol.

0 Kudos
jseipp

Maybe you can wait until just after you get back to smoke? That's what I'm doing with my coffee trigger...

Good luck!

0 Kudos