cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Loricon

Scared to Quit?

How many of you were scared to quit?

Tomorrow is my quit day 08/31/18 and I am feeling scared yet again.  Not so much of failing again but of not having the gumption to finally put these cigs down.  I am going to try and pray that I am successful because my desire is there but still I have fear.  Just wanted to put it our there.

20 Replies
indingrl

CONGRATS ON CHOOSING LIFE AS A NON SMOKER AND BEING A HUMAN BEING-YOU PRAYED SO PLEASE KNOW IT IS WRITTEN-DO NOT FEAR-ALSO IT SAYS 365 TIMES IN THE BIBLE-DO NOT FEAR! IT IS OK TO BE HUMAN WITH ALL THE REST OF US! THANKS FOR THE REMINDER-NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF EVER-NOT ONE PUFF EVER-GOOD JOB!

0 Kudos
AnnetteMM

No. You're afraid of discomfort and pain. Everyone is. Courage is the ability to go forward through the fear. The discomfort won't last, but your self-esteem will!

TW517

This is my 7th (and longest) quit.  My quits 2-6 were prefaced with a great deal of fear.  Fear that I would fail in my attempt.  Of course the fear got worse each time because I had more failures in my history.  I had no fear for this quit.  I had planned it much longer, and changed my mindset/attitude from "trying to quit" to "deciding to quit".  I knew that it would be difficult, but decided to face the difficulties rather than shrink in fear from them, and give myself excuses to relapse.

Giulia

I don't know of one quitter who wasn't afraid of quitting.  Because quitting means we have to change.  And change is scary.  You either agree and embrace that choice you've made to quit - to change - or you doubt the choice.  In my opinion, if you really accept the choice, agree to the discomfort that that change will mean, no matter what, no matter for how long, allowing for no excuses - you will have the quit and freedom that you desire.  When you get rid of doubt, you have surety.  Therefore doubt not.  BELIEVE.  And if you can't quite believe yet, then keep reading on here and educating yourself.  Knowledge will help to ensure that belief.

Love4MeFromMe

I understand, I'm in the same place. I will not tell you to not be scared. I would like to say that you are capable. I get it, but You are not alone. So many others (including me), are trying, and rooting for you! New beginnings. The reason for your quit? Only you know personally. Honor yourself. I want to do the same, and will get there. And as I go along with my day, I will be thinking of you, sending positive vibes. The mind can do that, make you doubt yourself, bc of past experiences. Imagine if all of your past determined who you are today, would you say that your the same person? No. Same is true for tomorrow, it's a new day...a new you.

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

I didn't trust myself to follow through in my quit because I didn't know how I would react to cravings. During the three +/- weeks before I quit, I made a list (and checked it/added to it almost daily) of things I'd do instead of smoke. I only put things on the list that I knew I'd do (like walk, use a straw, drink coffee, read, clean cupboards etc). To you, my list may sound completely unappealing. That's the thing about quitting, each of us has to adopt the stuff that works for us. Only you can know what crave busters to adopt. Lots of suggestions on Ex on this subject, so please keep reading. Dealing with cravings is the main thing at the start of a quit, after that it is about smobering up (destroying the power of the addiction).

But first things first, what is your approach plan for cravings?

One last point I'd like to make about my crave plan....I did make a fail plan though it was not big in my mind. I decided that should I buckle (again, I had no intention of doing this, I just didn't want to make choosing to smoke easy ---a guilty pleasure play) that I would buy a cigarette brand that I detested. There would be no easy out, ooops, I guess I didn't mean it, let me go to the store and get MY FAVORITE BRAND, oooo how bad I feel. I also bought a vape thing-a-do which I never used and returned within two weeks. I had never vaped, didn't intend to...I just wanted braking power should my resolve crack.

First and foremost, I accepted (didn't like) my decision to quit. That helped me get through some unhappy moments, that and the plan. I wore out some shoes walking.

BryceEvans

The benifits alone should make you forget about that fear. Go on a smoking savings calculator and see what will happen if you quit for 5 days. Then check 10. Then check 20.

then what will you be afraid of? Affraid of saving money? Afraid of regaining life? Educating yourself on the benefits is an important step in the process so that that fear will be nullified. 

SaraPeach

Like most things in life, the fear is worse than actually doing the thing. The fear begins to dissipate when you are actually quitting. After you make it through a day, the fear should begin to lesson. Did you quit today? How are you doing?

Rick_M

All who have faced up  to day 1 quitting smoking had much apprehension. Jump in and just focus on one day at a time. You can quit, many success stories here on EX and you can be one of them... 

Gnoble

We have all been where you are, you have to take it one day at a time, It took me 5 days after my chosen quit day to actually get there. BUT i'm here now, celebrating 7 days of freedom, know everyday is a concise choice. Be ready, be prepared, have your kit, phone a friend, and plan to fill the day. We are all here routing for you!