cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

chappy

Retail Workers

I've been in retail for over 35 years and a smoker for most of the years as well.   A love/ hate relationship.  I've made many attempts to quit and have failed miserably.    Sooo....I am once again trying to quit.  I've been smoke free for 5 days now.  I still have a strong urge to light up in between dealing with the customers and employees (STRESS)  and am finding it difficult to deal with stress in another way.  Smoking has always been the way.  Any suggestions or tips would be most helpful.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

First of all, welcome and congrats! Anytime away from cigs is a big deal. So take a deep breath and pat yourself on the back!

Here is a very informitive link: www.whyquit.com  that has most certain helped many people here on the ex-site finally decide to stay quit, no matter what. It is purely an educational site, but it explains how nicotine addition works. Again, congradulations and keep up the good work!

Sincerely--

ATRUSTEDSERVANT

0 Kudos
bell

I've only been in retail for 10 years, but totaly get the stresser of guests and co-workers.  This is day 9 for me of being nic free.  I smoked my first cig at age twelve and will be 50 this year.  It is going to be one heck of a journey!!!!! But I really want this for me.  The first 4 days all I did was eat and lay around.  Then I started making myself do things that helped take my mind off of cigs.  Being at work and on break was one of the hardest for me so I did totally the opposite of what I use to do when I was a smoker.  For each break I walk our store until break was over, I made myself smile and say hello to everyone I made eye contact with.  before I knew it break was over and now the hard times are when I am at home.  I hope this finds you all successful with your quit and stay strong

0 Kudos
jaleenice

I am still in the tracking phase, and I know that this is my year to quit.  I have quit many times before, the longest for about 6 months, and then something major occured and I was right back at it, puffing away like there was no tomorrow.  However, if I keep puffing, there will not be a tomorrow, a next week, a next month or anything.  I work in retail, as a third shift stocker, and some of the decisions that management makes puts me over the edge, and to calm myself I turn to my cigarettes.  On the average in a 9 hour period, I smoke 8 cigarettes, 2 for each break, and 4 at lunch.  I often thought taking a ball to work and bouncing it against the side of the building, anything to keep my hands busy.  I guess the biggest thing that I fear is weight gain, it does not seem that I am eating more, as when I quit the first time.  But 80 lbs piles on quickly, perhaps it is because I can actually taste the flavor of the food.  I am actually excited about quitting and becoming an EX, maybe this new attitude will be my champion.

0 Kudos