cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Relapse before I even really quit.

I'm just wondering how in the hell people do this. I felt so strong today and then so weak as the day went on. I hated the control that smoking had on me. How DARE I not smoke? I didn't even enjoy it when I broke my quit. I was brainwashed and I knew it but I also felt powerless to stop it.

Labels (1)
3 Replies
maryfreecig

I hear your anxiety about quitting. I'm not sure what you mean, though, when you say that you were brainwashed and knew it. 

As I understand it, nicotine intake causes addiction, dependency. I know that's what I experienced when I quit in 2013--extreme anxiety about not having cigarettes. I wanted out, but my mind wouldn't stop fixating on smoking. That's addiction! That's dependency. It's not like I could flip a switch in a second and accept my quit. Maybe some can, but from what I see, most cannot. We usually have to commit to doing absolutely everything we can to avoid picking up a cigarette--and do it one day at a time.

Here is a video I made 2 plus years into my quit. (Now at seven plus years I cannot relate to this video anymore and it kinda embarrasses me!!!). For me quitting was a journey made up of action steps. My quit would not have worked if all I wanted was my mind to get free from my smoking life in a split second. To be all better in an instant. No, I had to walk the walk--and boy did I complain!!! It's all good now, and I intend to keep it that way.

Wishing you the best in your search for your quit. We all have a good quit in us--no exceptions.

Maki

Try being accepting . Accept to quit is to gain , to quit is to refrain from smoking . To quit is  accepting that the craves are part of healing not to cause anxiety or fear and getting past them is helping you to get stronger to cope with whatever the reasons were you smoked .

Accept and welcome your freedom . Accept it it will take some time and patience and work . You  can do it because you are strong . The more you fight the harder it will fight to keep you puffing .  Try surrendering. 

Walk , talk , delay , distract . Drink water , deep breaths . Halt . Hungry , angry , lonely tired . Remember your why . Why you are quitting . Gather the tools . Use nope often ..  in fact use it all the time . It works when you choose it and do it . 

Don't smoke . You can do this . 

S-Dragon333

Thanks for sharing. Try not to be too hard on yourself, you're dealing with a MONSTER! (the jabber). I've almost finished the pdf you sent me and I'm thankful. We're here for you no matter what. 😊

0 Kudos