cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Mandolinrain

Red flags going up

Im am concerned. Seeing people ask for donations of money scare me a bit on here.

Anyne else seeing red flags? Especially this time of year?

I hate to be so cautious, but I have been duped before. Just sayin.....

18 Replies
Sootie

A dear friend of mine always counsels me not to give money to people. She insists ----and rightfully so----that I give the person the telephone #'s and contact information to contact a local United Way. They will help the person get connected with local Social Service agencies in their area who can help. It may not seem like the right thing to do....but believe....it is the better way to truly solve the problem and get a person help.

Just my opinion

Mandolinrain

You have a smart friend!

I like this idea and I will store it in my brain for future use.....hope it doesnt get lost in there, lol

0 Kudos

I've helped people on here before. the gift is in the giving. If you can't afford to give or you are suspicious, don't.

I was pleased to do it and there were never any negative repercussions. I don't think it's good to post requests in the main posts area. I don't think there's a spot for that in the site format or that they would even allow it. It's a conundrum.

Give with your heart, your head and your ability. (don't put yourself in a bad position financially to do it)  🙂

Perhaps this is a guideline since Mark responded to it positively:

/blogs/MustangSally7705-blog/2016/09/25/please-help-me 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for mentioning me Thomas3.20.2010‌ and Mandolinrain‌ for flagging. It's a gray area.  There are legitimate people out there in need and there are some that are not so legitimate. I tend to have a very easily tripped red flag. To that effect, there have been cases where it was obviously a scam and those posts have been removed.  On occasion there is a legitimate need.  Should you see a post like this, please flag it for my review and I'll look into it further to determine if the need is legitimate.  Neither member explicitly broke any rules and their participation on the community isn't characteristic of a scammer. You should always use caution when sending funds to anyone.  

Thanks for the many viewpoints.  JonesCarpeDiem‌ it is a conundrum.  When elvan‌ was in need I imagine people here would have(and maybe did) stepped up and helped her even in a minimal way.  Sootie‌ yes local services may assist as well. It's amazing how things are available and yet some of which go unused.  There are actually some services that are provided by numerous churches in my area that have been abused even with a fair amount of background checking.  At least here on EX we can see someone's participation history and  see if they've committed to their quit and worked to pay it forward to someone else or if they're just coming here for a handout.  

I'm going to review the  comments made here with the team. Thank you!

Mark

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
elvan

I think that this time of year is a rough one for the departments of social services, for the United Way, for all of the charitable foundations because they are trying to help so many people and their funding is at the end.  There WERE people here who helped me after the fire.   I never asked, I never expected it but people stepped forward and got me through the worst time I have ever experienced.  I CHOOSE to pay it forward in whatever way(s) that I can.  I do not judge those who choose to direct people to organizations.  We all have to do what we have to do...if it is not possible for you or if you do not think it is a good idea...that's certainly your right.  As I said, I felt something from this blog and I had to go with my gut.  Whatever happens, happens.  This person is the mother of a veteran who did two tours of duty in Iraq and who cannot get an ambulance ride to a doctor's appointment.  He is allowed NO weight bearing.  I suggested to her that she contact United Way, the Salvation Army, DSS, local churches...etc.  She has done so and she has also been trying to work with the V.A.  Today, I suggested that she contact a local TV station because I have seen many stories on stations where I live that had very positive outcomes.

Whatever the collective decision, I think we all have personal ones to make as well.

Ellen

there's also the personal message feature on this site

elvan

I used that with her and am continuing to do so.  Like I said, we all have to do what we have to do and I will forever be grateful to those who stepped up and helped me.  I asked her to contact me via direct message when I first saw the blog.  I am seriously grateful to Jennifer-Quit‌ for her follow up and making donating a possibility.  I really hope that she reaches out to local media because I think that they may be able to help.