cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

melissa-wood

Ready

Found this site watching the World Series last night! To the point....I've quite 2 times in 27 years for about 4months each. I've tried several times this Fall and the failure is so horrible I promise myself not to try or talk about it ever again. I know how wonderful it feels to have that monster out of my life. The freedom, confidence....oh theres no end to the benifits. I've made lists of them as well as a list of the problems smoking causes, not just health but the dirty life they create. Sadly, they are a friend to me, a little co-dependant friend. They are my think tool. The brainwashing is my main downfall. The other times I made it out were for my boyfriend then we would have problems & I started back. Correct motivation is important. Oh well, thanks for listening. And thanks for all your writting. Reading your thoughts has already been a relief. The "stinkin thinkin" made me laugh hard. God bless to you all in your efforts.
Melissa
0 Kudos
7 Replies
marc-parrotta

I too found this last night at World Series time! Not only that, every word you said in your note, every single one, could have been written by me. I am in nearly the exact same boat (about same # years as a Cool Smoker, several quits lasting from 1 day to 8 months time, and the recognition of the 'little co-dependancy' friend whose sitting on my back. I wonder, Have you tried what I am doing right now, which is this: after becoming fully disgusted with smoke and it's effects, with no small struggle (and daily headaches) I managed to cut my smoking in half in the last couple weeks.... I know I can easily 'slid back' into the previous pit I was in... so, this is a rather tenuous situation right now. A little stress could very well blow the whole thing outa the water. But, IN the PAST at least, this cut-back had been a useful period to see that "I don't really need so many cigs. I'm feeling somewhat better. Therefore, why not cut back by 1/2 again, and make the final step that much easier?".... I don't know if this gradual approach works for others really, and I don't know if it'll work this time. Any ideas on this??????? Thanks for listening! Marc P.
0 Kudos
diana3

I did the cut-down-first approach. I have been smoke free for over a year now. I did also use a fat-loss patch which I sell - it has an ingredient that is very good for addictions AND depression - made it possible for me, anyway.

I had to give up coffee for a while, because I "needed" a cigarette with it... I'm back to drinking coffee. The one challenge I still deal with is that I want to put my hand to my mouth with something in it...right now, it's food. Fortunately, thankfully, my patch HAS HELPED with that...at least I have lost 30 pounds instead of putting on 50+! lol

Blessings!!
0 Kudos
staci3

Gods blessings to you as well. it sounds like reading up on others thoughts are pretty helpful!
0 Kudos
edith2

Welcome Melissa! I love the blog you posted! Sounds like you're in recovery........so am I. This was my last addiction that was the hardest to quit. I had no desire to quit and I didn't think I could do it. Was scared to death. So I quit spur-of-the-moment. Instead of buying two cartons like I did every payday, I bought a box of Commit Lozenges. They really helped. After the first 24 hours I decided there was no turning back, no matter how hard it got. My latest and biggest benefit is next week I'm having minor surgery and I had to get a chest x-ray in preparation. First time I ever got one and I was very anxious to see how my lungs looked after not smoking for 5+ years. They look AWESOME! They are clear. I consider myself extremely lucky that I quit when I did because I know that some get beyond the point of no return. Write down your excuses and you'll be amazed at how stupid they are. There are NO good excuses not to quit.
0 Kudos
edith2

Welcome Melissa! I love the blog you posted! Sounds like you're in recovery........so am I. This was my last addiction that was the hardest to quit. I had no desire to quit and I didn't think I could do it. Was scared to death. So I quit spur-of-the-moment. Instead of buying two cartons like I did every payday, I bought a box of Commit Lozenges. They really helped. After the first 24 hours I decided there was no turning back, no matter how hard it got. My latest and biggest benefit is next week I'm having minor surgery and I had to get a chest x-ray in preparation. First time I ever got one and I was very anxious to see how my lungs looked after not smoking for 5+ years. They look AWESOME! They are clear. I consider myself extremely lucky that I quit when I did because I know that some get beyond the point of no return. Write down your excuses and you'll be amazed at how stupid they are. There are NO good excuses not to quit.
0 Kudos
diana3

God bless you right back!!!
0 Kudos
diana3

Edith - how awesome that you have a great chest x-ray!!!
0 Kudos