cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Kamella

Quitting without NRT

I understand that this program encourages using nrt when quitting but I am choosing to forego that. Seems like an even more daunting thing doing it this way. Can anyone give testimony to successfully quitting without NRT?

31 Replies
Kamella

I agree, I don’t think that continuing to ingest nicotine will work for me, personally. Just a clean break. It’s daunting but really glad I found this site and so much support. Let me know how it’s going and I feel you have any tips or info, please share! Thanks! 

0 Kudos
prjimm01

whatever works for you to save your life is the right answer!

maryfreecig

I quit cold turkey (no NRT and very little support)--not necessarily smart turkey. But I did my best---that was in October 2013. Everyone is a little different. I found that I needed a quit community. For a while I idealized smoking even though I'd quit!!! I did a lot of the grunt work of quitting but support has helped me get past the idea that smoking holds any kind of magical powers.

Welcome and congratulations on your plan to quit. Yes you can--one day at a time.

Welcome and congrats on your decision to quit.... Use the site!  They have had my back, when I thought I wouldn't make it. Sounds like you're doing your homework and preparing for a successful journey. I have always exercised but find exercise to fight back cravings very effective...... Prairie 34 DOF

GyorgyiM

43 years, 2 pack a day chain smoker.....

Woke up one day, said to myself "I am done"

Been smoke free ever since...

Yes,.....it can be done "cold turkey"....

But only YOU know what your mind set and body can handle....

it will let you know...with or without NRT.

YOU GOT THIS!

Miles of Smiles....

Sandy-9-17-17

Absolutely, I can attest to quitting without NRT's!  I did it and I have been totally successful! 

6 months coming up for me soon, and I will never go back to it!   To me it is the sensible way to quit, considering nicotine is what we are addicted to.  But I have learned that not all can just quit cold turkey and need to cut back on it slowly! 

Personally I think that once you have been without nicotine for 3 days, then it's free from your body, and it's the work you put into staying quit!  Reading material on how to help yourself. 

This site has been one of the reasons I have succeeded.  You can do it, because it is doable! 

Looking forward to watching your number grow! 

Sandy

0 Kudos
DLHaffner

Dear @Kamella - I've found that this site doesn't encourage one way or another but they do encourage and support being smoke-FREE....PERIOD.    I've tried Wellbutrin, the gum, the patch, and this time what I hope to be my forever quit I choose SMART Turkey and this site.  I also read a book by Allen Carr titled Easy Way to Stop Smoking which I highly recommend.  I smoked my last disgusting cigarette on 03/04/18 at 10:35PM and have not had one since.   I feel good, I am human though and did go through withdrawals for the first 3 days, I am a bit foggy, and dealing with some stomach issues (constipation) but all and all my head space is good. I feel like I have gained freedom and potential health and wealth both spiritually and physically....there is nothing to lose by stopping something I didn't need in the first place.

I encourage you to do your own research and bottom line, as every single post I've read on here says just start living life!!!!  I prefer to say start living instead of stop smoking.    You can do this too!!!  

Good luck!

sandi8

Hi quit nine years ago cold turkey after smoking 3 packs a day. .. I came here and read others blogs, listen to advise and yelled for help . This site was a life saver...

How is it going, since your ask about the Cold Turkey and other options??????????????????????????????

38 DOF here for Prairie

I had to go with CQ 24 hr. patch... the smoking 45 yrs. and being an emotional stuffer, I knew I needed to wean off, while I found the reasons, I had depended on them to start with..........Take time to untangle one's life! 1st. time I have ever felt I will make it!!!!!

Would LOVE to hear how you are doing and what you have done thus far????? Welcome to the Journey of Freedom

Kamella

@Prarieroselady, after what seemed to be an endless run of “practice quits”, I’m finally resolved to commit to this and get through. Today is day one, I’m feeling ok so far. 

0 Kudos