cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Jules7

Quitting today - HELP

I did all the suggested things last night; threw out the smokes, the trash and the ashtray. Slept in and ate breakfast. I have been up for 2 hours now and am using the nicotine gum. I really want a cig. I wish it were easier. I really want to be a non-smoker. Not sure I am going to make it!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
tempest

You can't think of time the same anymore. You must think in minutes and hours, not days and weeks. You are an addict, plain and simple. You either fight with everything you have or you crater to the almighty dig. It is one or the other. What do you want more? Freedom, health, and money...or...cancer, a slow painful death, and to be broke. You need to hold that head high honey. I know it is hard, this is only day three for me. haha It is horrible, but not the worst anyone could go through. Imagine how others have to detox, the shakes, vomiting, even death can happen. But think of how nice it is to be able to quit with out all of the staff and doctors, padded rooms for the actual shakes and mental cruises that happen during a detox. Imagine how difficult it would be to come out of that hospital clean and have to face reality again...knowing everyone around you knows where you have been and why.

We actually have it much easier than they do. Yes we are killing ourselves, yes we need to quit for so many good reasons. Yes we are surrounded with it. But our detox is a lot easier and we need to be thankful for that. Everytime you want a big think of them and rethink how hard it is to walk away from a cig. We have the control. I don't want to be harsh, but it is for our own good. haha
0 Kudos
Jules7

Very good reminder. I have watched someone go through drug detox and treatment. It was so hard and coming out into the world proved too hard. She eventually died. This is WAY easier. I stayed busy and actually went to the movies. I feel proud that it is 7:30 and I am in for the night without ciggs and have had a whole day without one. I know in past quits the first 3 days were hell and the 6 after that sucked and then it was pretty easy. I am keeping all the good advice on these blogs in mind and appreciate being able to come and read what others are going through. Keeps me smoke free for 5 more minutes! Thanks!
0 Kudos
hwc

There ya go! I'm standing and applauding.

I think you've got it right. Yes, quitting is hard. But, it's not like drug detox or being in a painful car accident. It's more just annoying as hell than anything anything else.
0 Kudos
Jules7

Yep that sums it up. And it just keeps popping into my head and then that requires attention. Really amazing how much I smoked and how often I lit up when the thought popped into my head. I was not even aware of the thought. While I was tracking my smokes I was aware of the frequent desires but I also knew I would be having one at some point. Crazy. But it is nice to be smoke free. I can tell in my breathing already!
0 Kudos
hwc

Yep. I mean... we pretty much smoked all day, right?

I remember being able to just shrug off some of the craves. Others, I would have to consciously say, "OK, big fella. You've gotta get up and DO something this time."

A cup of coffee out on the deck doing some deep breathing. A couple of pieces of red licorice. Watch a WhyQuit video. Whatever. I wasn't going to smoke -- not an option -- so it was just acknowledging each crave and figuring out what would snap me out of it. I was sick, so laying under the covers was just fine!
0 Kudos
Jules7

I actually had to put a piece of nic gum in my mouth during the movie! Hell, you can't even smoke in the movies. The mind is a funny place and today mine is a dangerous neighborhood I should not go into alone!
0 Kudos
cindy16

Hi, I tried to change my routine. Today is my first day too. But I'm on chantix and last week only had 5 cigs. Right now drinking coffee and drinking a yogurt drink. Need to fill my stomach with something more than coffee to take pill. I plan on working then coming home and cleaning. Laying in bed early and watching tv.I bought some gum and smoke kidsses. I figured the kisses are small and I froze them. Will last longer frozen. Will suck on them to give me someithing to do. Cold outside so that is good. I hate to smoke outside when it is cold. Let me know how you are doing later today. Cindy
0 Kudos
cindy16

I also keep thinking one day in my life time I will have to quit. Betternow than when a doctor says I have cancer and need chemo, in the hospital or at home sick as can be.
Cindy
0 Kudos
Jules7

Good luck on your first day Cindy. Now I am officially on day 3 and I am drinking my coffee and wanting a smoke. I slept in a bit to give myself less time to want to smoke before getting ready for work. It is hard to change all the habitual times we smoke. Oh well, one bit a time here and I will have another day under my belt.
0 Kudos