cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

altusadmin

Quitting my Juul proving harder than quitting cigarettes

Hi all,

I'm here because I'm trying to give up my Juul habit. I am a former smoker, had been blessedly quit for years, but used a Juul on a lark and it is proving more difficult than my final smoking quit 7 years ago. I realize that many on these threads may use Juul as nicotine-replacement, which I support (it's certainly better than smoking). But my goal is simply to get off nicotine again, for health reasons (no idea what my near-constant Juul inhalation will do someday) and cost (money could be so much better spent). 

Just wondering if anyone here is trying to give up Juul / vaping habit and finding it as wildly difficult as I am. 

Thanks all. 

Tags (1)
86 Replies
kyliecharles

It sounds like you are doing great!   Are you having any withdrawal symptoms?   Last time I went cold turkey from a pod a day, the only thing that I really remember was being extremely grumpy.   My husband could not understand what was going on with me.  I think I was mad at myself for getting addicted to the Juul and mad that I couldn't have it anymore and mad that I couldn't really tell anyone what I was going through.   I'm going to try to recognize that behavior this time around and reach out to this group for support.   I'm going to visit my elderly parents for a week (leaving Wednesday), which will either be a good distraction, or it will make things worse because they do add stress to my life. 

I'm going to try taking the huge breaths like you suggested.    And, it's probably time to kick my workouts up a notch.  Hopefully I will be able to start running again because I can breathe.   I can't even begin to imagine all the damage I did to my lungs.    

Stay strong on vacation and I will be checking back frequently if you need anything!

altusadmin

Thanks, Kiley. I did have bad symptoms. I was 1.5 cartridges per day, so the first day or so I had "digestive" bathroom problems (a polite way to say it) and I've also been waking up a lot at night. Today I'm extremely grumpy. 

Toughest day yet, but I'm strong and sticking with it. 

I think kicking up workouts is a great idea. I need to try that myself. 

Your statement about "all the lung damage" was good for me to read. It's helping me - thank you. 

I'm here too if you need anything!

kyliecharles

Good morning altusadmin.  I hope you had a good night.   Last night was rough...  I realized another trigger is that I used to Juul after meals.   It was one of the reasons I started in the first place was to lose a few stubborn pounds, and the Juul kept me from eating.   And it worked.   So, I'm definitely on edge.   But I'm chewing a lot of gum and drinking a lot of water.....and taking deep breaths.    I hope Day 5 is a good one for you.   I'm still counting hours....   34....

altusadmin

The hours must be just creeping by for you right now. Post-meals are tough for me too - that's why I eat chocolate instead or ice cream (not necessarily healthy, but it's how I'm coping right now).

Also, my name is Nick.

The cravings are still there for me too. I'm worried about the 7-8 day mark, when the nicotine truly leaves my system. That's when I crashed last time - I was just in a low place that I thought only nicotine could get me out of. 

But this time I'm going to remember all the stress and difficulty hitting that 7-8 mark took and will myself to remember that I do not want to go through that again. 

kyliecharles

My daughter just showed me an article from Forbes.com published a few days ago.   When you have a weak moment, check out this article Teen’s Two-Pod A Day Juul Addiction Caused Massive Stroke, Lawsuit Says    I don't know if the link worked, but you can google it.

It scared her enough to throw out her Juul right then and there.   It seems that all of the moons are aligning to finally get this nightmare out of our lives.   

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.  Fortunately, I have no experiencing with vaping. Just want to reiterate how much this site has helped me with my quit.  Check in here first next time before you make a purchase.  That's what this site is all about.  We can help get you through that weak moment when you don't really want to do it again.  Read as much as you can to educate yourself.  Knowledge is power. 

Barb 

altusadmin

Thank you, Barb. I'm doing this check-in right now and it IS helping.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Glad to see you're still here.   Congrats on your first day!  Reach out--we're here for you.

Barb

0 Kudos
Giulia

I don't know if you two know (altusadmin  kyliecharles ) how important your 'testimonies' are here.  I quit smoking 13 years ago, but I must admit there is an emotional draw towards Juul.  And they know just how to sell it.  Even with the very pointed "Juul contains nicotine.  Nicotine is an addictive substance" at the end.  It's still enticing.  Fun flavors?  Oh yeah!  Fortunately I have learned how incredibly addictive nicotine is (the hard way) and I never want to be it's slave again.  That fear of leaving the house without cigarettes.  The constant thinking about them.  That desperate need!  Once you grasp that it's an addiction and not just a "bad habit," you're on your way to being able to overcome it.  

What you're both saying  is so important because it's acting as a deterrent for those who have quit, yet are contemplating beginning vaping. 

A 7 year quit and  to try vaping "as a lark" and get hooked on it....

A 30 year quit and " After first trying to share every piece of information on how bad vaping is and trying to get her to stop,  I ended up trying it and liking it and loving it."  

I hope those here who have quit smoking  and are reading this will refrain from trying it.  I almost tried it a couple of years ago.  Well, no, not really.  A friend had a vape pen stuck away in a drawer and I asked to see it.  He asked if I wanted to try it.  I almost RAN out of the room I was so afraid.  All the red flags went up.  I've learned my lessons well!  May others see the warning flags for themselves.

The jewel most precious is a healthy pair of lungs.  So glad you've joined our community.  Stick around!

AnnetteMM

Great points in here. I remember many years ago being in a mall and there was a kiosk for one of the newer types of "electronic cigarettes" as we knew them then. The guy put a disposable tip on it and just handed it to me to try. What if I'd quit smoking prior to then and didn't know any better? Does this happen now? How easy it would be to just take the offer.