cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Kandy77

Quitting is hard hard hard

Hello all, my name is Kandy not Jimmy...... I was not thinking that my username would be a blog name lol So please call me Kandy.

So my quit day was August 29th. But wait no praise just yet..... I have slipped several times... So I am so disappointed in myself and want to know would you change your quit date and if so why? If it was only like 4 cigarettes total since my quit date? I am noticing also that it is very hard for me to get settled. It's almost like I alll of a sudden have ADHD and please no offense to anyone because my 8yo daughter has ADHD. My fiance and family are trying to help support me but I feel like they do not truly know how nor understand like y'all do. I am very glad to be on this site and have seen very helpful things. I just really need some more encouagement or I will fail at one more thing in my life. Sorry to ramble guys I am just really feeling down today yet hyper and wide awake at 9 pm after being up since 5am CDT btw. I appreciate your support and please give me some thoughts on the quit date question.

31 Replies
Whitty007

Hi everyone,

I quit smoking September 4th... I’ve been battling this for about six months. Talked with my doctor and the patches she gave me just didn’t cut it. I didn’t want to give up... so I made another appointment to see her. She put me on Wellbutrin, which gave me terrifying nightmares! So for awhile I just went back to smoking... I cut back till one day I had a family emergency with my son... I was so stressed out I ended up smoking heavy again. After getting sick once again which I know is from smoking heavy... I decided to just quit on my own!!! I wanted to feel better, not be frustrated all the time. Wanted to quit for myself & my children. So I went to samsclub and bought step one patches... I came home and set my quit date. September 4th I tossed out my ashtray and cigarettes. Put the patch on and went on with my day! I can tell you it was definitely hard... I started chewing number 5 sugarless gum when I even thought about smoking. Drink water which does help and is also refreshing. Today is day #13 without smoking... I keep busy daily and reward myself for not smoking. If I can do this... so can YOU!!! I’ve smoked for 20 years. So now I’m here just looking to talk and for positive support. I won’t ever smoke again but talking about it makes me feel good and accomplished. Plus, I want to be here to help others quit. If you have questions just ask... I can tell you how I got through it and maybe it will help you Good luck to everyone... think about this... smoking is something having control over you... I know I don’t want anything controlling me, do you?

Best wishes,

Tammy from NY.

elvan

Congratulations on your quit, as you stack your days, it WILL get easier. Welcome to EX.

Ellen

YoungAtHeart

Whitty007 

Welcome!

Congratulations on 12 successful days!  You have conquered H#ll Week and are almost finished with Heck Week.

Let us know if you have questions or need support.   Glad you are here!

Nancy

Giulia

Welcome to the family, Tammy.  Kudos on the two weeks!  Suggestion: put up a blog next time (Pencil Icon upper right/blog post).  More members are likely to see it and respond.  Keep zooming right along in the direction you're going.  It's obviously working!

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex Whitty007  and congrats on your commitment to being smoke free..  It works both ways--we're here to support you and supporting other's with their quit. contributes to our own success.  

"Post to My Blog" so other quitters get to know you. 

Barb

0 Kudos
indingrl

Welcome Tammy and I hope you have a good n.o.p.e. day

0 Kudos
Cryan2576

if at first you don't succeed, try, try agaim

YoungAtHeart

Cryan2576 

Welcome to our little corner of the 'net.  Did you recently celebrate a YEAR free?  If so, congrats!

0 Kudos
RoseH

I’ve been looking at this post for several days, and I would not say quitting is “triple hard”.  Attitude is everything and our self-talk can be uplifting or a “downer”...  Just like a lot of other addictions (besides being hooked to the drug, Nicotine), we all have to “hit our bottom” to quit!

I’m the proof...because when I couldn’t breathe, well you get it, right?  That was my bottom...

KAM_RGM

Hi Kandy, congrats on deciding to quit. I'm just 10 days in, but this is my 4th or maybe 5th time. It has not been an easy 5 days, but I will say this is the first time I have not cheated while quitting. Each day I've been telling myself you made it 5 days, then 6, and so on. There's no reason I should pick up another cigg. I also gifted myself with just one week of savings and bought myself a new tablet. Try to think about the positives and what you can do that you couldn't when you smoked. DEFINITELY keep checking in on the posts and stories of others that are here. This site has been so helpful!! I'm not sure if I would have made it to day 10 without it. When you start getting the urge, just read a post or write a post. It is so helpful. 

As far as the ADHD feeling , OMG, could not focus what so ever at work last week. Took forever to get anything done. Just in a fog. It is better this week and my other side effects seem to be getting better too. Just hang in there....YOU CAN DO IT AND SO CAN I

I've been a heavy smoker for 34 years, so Believe me its not easy.!

Hang in there and keep checking in.