cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Quitting is Such a Slippery Slope

I had vaped for around 6 years.  I loved it and was vaping openly until three years ago, my wife told me I needed to quit.  I threw all my devices, batteries, and juice in the trash and decided I was done. That lasted about 4 months with one slip up and then it all started again.  I vaped in secret for about 10 months until I was caught by my wife and she forced me to throw the stuff away.  I immediately went out and bought another device and used it until I decided to quit on my own.  I went cold turkey again for another 4 months and started back again. (Relapse number 2) Another 10 months later, my wife got pregnant and I decided to research support groups and found the Ex Community and it has helped tremendously.  I set my quit date and quit for what I thought was “for good”.  I am now about 9 months after my quit date, I had been quit for exactly 275 days.  During that time, we’ve had a baby, been socially distanced, and have feared The effects of COVID-19.  Also, I quit when EVALI first became big news because this “safe” alternative that I had been using for 5 years was no longer safe.  I recently saw a few triggers on TV but was able to put those out of my mind or I had thought.  I then had a dream.  In the dream, I went out and bought a new device and started vaping again.  I felt horrible about it until I woke up and realized it was just a dream.  That dream stuck with me and two days ago, I faced a moment of weakness.  I went out and bought another device with reward points I had stored up at my vape shop. I took that device and vaped on the way home.  After I got home, I felt horrible and decided to throw the device down a storm drain.  Then the cravings got worse. Yesterday I went out and bought another device and used it a few times yesterday.  I came back on here and decided that giving myself permission to vape is a terrible decision.  This morning, I woke up and threw my device into a pond behind my house.  My fear now and that I’ll find a way to go back out and buy another device tomorrow or the next day or the next. How do I keep from wasting money and time on this stuff?  Also, I can’t believe I slipped.  I have so much anger and guilt wrapped up into this now and part of me wants to vape to get rid of the guilt (an addict’s brain is so logical sometimes). 

16 Replies
indingrl

Welcome and the NEXT time the crave hits go get a lemon and bite it

Gai.C

Welcome Matt. U have to make up your mind. U are worth it.  U are Consciously  going to the Vape Shop and buying new devices.  Just don't buy it.  U have to find your Why. Make a Plan And Stick To It.  

RoseH

I posted a blog today called Why Quitting Is Hard To Do.  Doesn’t matter whether it’s smoking or vaping.  They’re both addictions...  I suggest reading the book by Allen Carr in my blog called “The Easy Way To Quit Smoking”...  I think it will help you, mattchapman586

sweetplt

Hi Matt mattchapman586 You received some great advice above me...learn from all the times and went back to vaping...and move forward by planning a new quit...read about addiction/quitting, etc., and come here often for support...keep close...remember in life we have stress all the time and smoking/vaping really doesn’t help, we only convince ourselves that it does...you can do this, don’t beat yourself up...~ Colleen 555 DOF 

0 Kudos
Maki

Saying no to yourself is the most powerful tool you have right now . 

Enough is enough right . 

Come here post instead . 

Just got thinking , what if you put that amount of money you would spend on vape stuff into a college fund jar for your child , any time you feel the urge to spend it on vaping .  Seeing that money first hand be put to good use may be the trick . 

I threw out three unopened packages and lighters after running to buy them at the store .  Best thing I ever did . Keep throwing them out and don't take the first puff  , but seriously seeing your money grow is more helpful that watching it being tossed away . 

Sersic6

You sound like me.  I have had some tragedy in my life.  I lost my wife to cancer.  I suffered panic attacks at least 1 per day since i was 18.  After my wife died my inlaw . Sued me for custody of my daughter.  I had a full out psychotic break.  I have been on disability for 5 years now.  Lately i have been doing mindfull meditation.  That led me back to the bible.  I know God doesn't want me to smoke anymore.   But i have tried to quit many times but only made it a few days.  I am very scared that i will never quit.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex Sersic6   I'm sorry you've had so much tragedy in your life.  This is an opportunity to do something positive for you.   Most of us have attempted many times to quit, but this is my successful quit.  I can attribute that to educating myself about nicotine addiction and having a quit plan.   I would just "try" to quit, but didn't understand the process and that it's a journey.  Knowledge and support from this community made it possible for me and and can make if possible for you.  Pick a date, do the prep work, and begin the journey to becoming and ex-smoker.  That fact that you posted here, tells me you're ready to take the next step.

We're here to support you--just reach out if you need encouragement.  That's what we're here for.

You can do this one day at a time.

Barb

0 Kudos