cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

Quitting and hypothyroidism

Anyone here battling changes with this condition since they quit?  I’m now back in the struggle to find a balance again as mine is quite severe.  Makes it very hard to feel much appreciation for quitting.  I don’t feel all the good things most do and that keeps me in the background wishing I could post a YAY, I’m doing it post.  

84 Replies
sweetplt

Hi Gwen...saw you posted and wanted to just stop by and say Hello...I haven’t had an issue with the thyroid since quitting smoking...however, I am getting blood work on Monday...I will see my thyroid levels at that time...~Colleen 187 DOF 

0 Kudos
Gwenivere

Thank you for all your input.  The docs are trying to help, but it’s all science to them.  We need people that take a more personal interest.  I know I can always find that here.  Ex is the best!

indingrl

You are so very welcome ❤

0 Kudos
Sandy-9-17-17

Yes, I am battling this too now, but I have been on a med now, and will be for life according to my doctor. My numbers are back in the range they are suppose to be now, but will continue to be monitored as needed.   Good luck to all!   

Christine13

Sorry for your troubles with your thyroid.  Hope the docs can sort it all out for you soon.

I'm really impressed that you have stayed quit!

0 Kudos
minihorses

I didn't have a big problem with hypothyroid while I was smoking.  I was on thyroid meds before but I had to stop taking it because I became allergic to it.  It didn't make much of a difference.  I've gained 50 pounds since I quit and my numbers came back as quite high so I was recently sent to the endocrinologist and apparently it has now become an issue.  I'm hoping the medicine they called in yesterday will help, providing I'm not allergic to it.  I have edema in my legs, back is always killing me and have no energy.  I wasn't supposed to be able to gain much weight after stomach surgery because if I eat too much or eat sweets it makes me throw up.  Went from a size 12 to an 18 in less that 5 months.  I went into surgery 12 years ago at 270 lbs. and lost 140 lbs. after surgery. I had maintained the weight loss within 5 lbs or so for all these years.  I'm not doing anything different now except not smoking so I really hope this helps!  I'm tired of looking in the mirror and crying at the fat pig I have become yet again.  Hopefully the thyroid medicine will help a lot!

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

I can only image how awful you must feel not being on the medication.  I know I felt miserable, but didn't know why.  I can totally associate with the weight gain.  Sucks.  I really hope this medication helps you.   

0 Kudos
minihorses

Me too.  I do a lot of crying.  I was sick to my stomach a lot and missed out on a lot of things.  Eating out was a disaster.  But I was happy, vibrant, enjoying life and proud of the way I looked after being overweight my whole life.  I started the new medicine this morning so we'll see if it helps.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Please let me know.  Prior to being diagnosed, I just cried about everything.  I'm much better now.

Barb

0 Kudos
minihorses

My bipolar disorder has changed as well without having cigarettes.  I cry a lot, want to sleep a lot, tried to commit suicide twice in May.  I'm working on finding a new head shrinker so I can get this under control, at least as good as I usually get with balanced medicines.  Would have checked myself in the psych ward but I couldn't afford it. 

0 Kudos