cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

Quitting and hypothyroidism

Anyone here battling changes with this condition since they quit?  I’m now back in the struggle to find a balance again as mine is quite severe.  Makes it very hard to feel much appreciation for quitting.  I don’t feel all the good things most do and that keeps me in the background wishing I could post a YAY, I’m doing it post.  

84 Replies
Barbscloud

Sounds like you made some headway with the doc.  Hope things work out for you.

Barb

0 Kudos

I had to give up my soda too. I have developed an intolerance to high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) and along with that, digestive problems when drinking large amounts of sugar all at once. What kind of problems you ask? Uncontrollable explosive diarrhea. You would think that the gastroenterologist would have figured that out! I kept thinking that I must be allergic to MSG as this frequently happened when eating out. Now I know that fountain soda frequently has even more HFCS in it. I haven't made one single day on 20 gm of carbs. I can, with great suffering, get it below 80 gm. I first got off the soda with sweet tea- 4 bags gently boiled for about 7 min in water and that added to 2 quarts of water. Add 2/3 cup of turbinado sugar. Then I got off the sugar in the tea by switching to a glass at a time using Truvia as a sweetener. It doesn't have as bad an after taste as pure Stevia. Why do I boil 4 tea bags? I like it strong and I want the extra kick I'm used to getting with soda. You would think that getting off the soda alone would drop some pounds. No such luck. At this point, I'm happy I'm not gaining. Though I must say, there are days and weeks when I just can't be on a low carb diet. I'm doing well when I limited myself to 4 Oreo's and not the 10 that I wanted. But, that doesn't mean I don't keep trying. There are simply times when I am in a place in my life when I can try more successfully.

As to foggy brain and memory, for me that improved dramatically when I was 3 years post menopause and they got my thyroid regulated. Prior to that, I kept telling everybody to write stuff down for me because I couldn't remember *s_ _t! Dixie

Giulia

I'm sure with the amount of research you've done that you realize that the "fake" sugars still come into our brain as real sugars and thus your body reacts the same way as if they WERE real sugars.  At least that's my understanding.  Thank you for passing on your experiential knowledge to all of us.  I find it find it very helpful.  And I'm really sorry you're going through this constant battle.

minihorses

I love you Dixie   No doctor told me ANYTHING like what you wrote.  I was simply told my thyroid was low and I should take medicine.  That being said, he also told me that the endocrinologist put me on such a low dose that it's almost not even worth it, 50 mcg.  I don't know what's right anymore.  I haven't ever been given a 'diagnosis' of anything other than bipolar disorder, high blood pressure, and anemia.  I've never even been told I have hypothyroidism either, just that the numbers are off.  I don't know if it's T3, T4, T9999.  I just take the damn pills. I have no idea if it's helping or not.  I don't do high sugar stuff although I do use sugar-substitute products, Diet Dew, diet citrus green tea, sugar-free vanilla creamer in my morning cappuccino. I use Stevia In The Raw for drinks, etc. as it takes so little of it to sweeten some tea or homemade dark chocolate hot cocoa (I use unsweetened dark chocolate baking powder). I rarely eat sweets, even the 'sugar-free' kind.

I don't know which end is up anymore. The doctor office swears I'm addicted to my Xanax.  I have a regimen of medicine and I take the xanax twice a day, not "as needed".  One of my bipolar meds makes my hands shake so xanax makes it less so. They emailed me today saying that the pharmacy has been filling it early every time, which is a load of crap and I can prove it, so they won't refill it until the middle of August and I won't even be in town. I'll be in Florida!  I was too busy to call today but they are my number 1 call tomorrow.  I'm about to just go off everything, I'm sick to death of fighting to get medicine, diagnoses, treatments, or care of any kind. I have better things to do.  Sorry, off on a tangent but I think it all goes hand in hand.  If I could just get a straight answer out of someone in the medical profession. 

Maybe, just maybe, the ortho office will give me a straight answer at my appointment this week and we look at the MRI disc together but I'm not hedging my bets. I've whined enough today I think. Thanks for listening though!

0 Kudos
Gwenivere

I’m back to Snythroid again, brand this time.  Tried another round with Armor but I think the T3 was too high.  Too many anxiety attacks.  Docs tried adding T3 daily once and I couldn’t stand it, massive panic attacks.  So, round 3 trying snythroid, how it feels and adding T3 if needed.  

I’m so angry and frustrated that quitting messed this all up.  It’s just too coincidental it went to heck since I did.  Any ideas of what to do as all I want to do is cry and scream.  I can’t do much physically because my back is shot so walking is out.  Maybe I do need to cry more and release it.  I keep trying to hold it together when I really don’t need to. I’ve pretty much been downgraded to a unwilling hermit from this.  Arg!

0 Kudos
minihorses

Um, Gwen I'm going through similar problems.  Back, neck, hips, can't move, crying, pain, pain, pain. I'm also the unwilling hermit from all of this.  Msg. me and we can gripe together and compare notes.  Together we might find something else to do.  Very gentle hugs.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

NicMensinga makes a good point.  There are different causes for hypothyroidism.    I have Hashimoto's 

0 Kudos
minihorses

I'm post-menopause and finally don't have the facial and leg hair I used to.  It seems that both are starting to come back since starting Synthroid.  Did this happen to anyone else?  I inherited the dense black hairs on my body from my dad's side and had it up until menopause and I don't want it back. 

0 Kudos
Daniela2016

You lost it when you developed the Hypothyroidism, and not because you are post menopausal.

Yes, sorry to say so, but when your Thyroid hormone level reached normal values, your hair will come back.  I was happy when I stopped losing my hair, even more when I got some back.

Daniela

0 Kudos

People! This is super long but I hope it helps some of you. I have so much to say and that is only from scanning your posts! First, I am a former registered nurse. Second, I have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism. There are no family members with it. In my mid 30's I started with very long and heavy menstrual periods-like 5 days heavy and 5 days spotting. Wrecks your love life. Anyway, I had numerous treatments for that with limited success. Then in my early 40's I started skipping periods. I kept taking pregnancy tests even though I had had my tubes tied. It was then that I realized I was peri-menopausal. Naturally, they said that I was starting early because I was a smoker. According to doctors, everything is because you are a smoker! Years later I learned that those long heavy periods are common with hypothyroidism. Meanwhile, I started to put on weight and though I was a lifelong napper, my naps started being 2-4 hours long with 8 hours of sleep each night. I was always tired. I thought that all of this was hormone related. My OB GYN tested me for my hormone levels and just kind of casually decided to throw in a thyroid test. Thank goodness she tested for antibodies-which were off the chart, like in the thousands. My understanding from my endocrinologist is that you can maintain normal thyroid levels but it is as if you are a car going 35 mph with the accelerator floored.

I lost an entire summer getting my thyroid somewhat in line. He started me on a normal dose and within a month I started having heart palpitations. Apparently, it takes that long for it to just get into your system and have an affect. He had to start again on a pediatric dose. We slowly went up over a period of 6 months, but I slept for that entire summer, and I felt like a pin cushion as lab work was drawn every 6 weeks. There were lesson I learned along the way. You have to take your medication on a 4 hour empty stomach. My body doesn't like the cheap medicine, only the expensive Tyrosint. By this I mean that my body had unpleasant side effects. I learned that women often develop hypothyroidism around menopause. Hyperthyroid people often become hypothyroid because their thyroid gives out. Hypothyroidism causes the metabolism to slow so that losing weight is sooooo hard. Eat too little and your body goes into starvation mode, which slows the metabolism even more. Eat too much and watch pounds pack on even though you eat less than anybody! Your hair falls out if your thyroid is out of wack too. And I don't mean the mustache or our legs! Just on our head. Depression goes hand in hand with hypothyroidism. It is almost a given. Thank goodness that that is the one thing I didn't have! Let's see. Constipation mixed with bouts of diarrhea. Oh joy. Of course, over the years I figured out that that was compounded by an intolerance of high fructose corn syrup in soda that I was addicted to. Things like broccoli, cauliflower, tofu, soy, etc are no no's. They interfere with the thyroid or the medication, I can't remember which.

Then I quit smoking. My endocrinologist flat out told me that nicotine revs the metabolism. So I then had at least 2 things that were slowing my metabolism down. No nicotine, and hypothyroidism. By the way, when I quit smoking I developed canker sores that were so bad and lasted so long that I had to be given a lidocaine syrup to gargle. Numerous ex smokers have told me the same thing happened to them. They aren't as bad now, but I figure that the chemicals in the cigarettes probably prevented that when I was a smoker. Then there was the hours long naps again with the adjustment of my medication when I quit smoking. It takes a long time to get it regulated; at least it did for me. Last but not least, I developed heartburn that was terrible. Since I was an ex-smoker, the doctors could not blame the heartburn on smoking. Next they blamed it on the weight gain-35 pounds of it. So they did a heart stress test, (slightly abnormal), and an endoscopy with a colonoscopy. Everything was inflamed from tip to bottom as it were. Technically it was mild gastritis and diverticulosis. So let's put you on Prilosec. Within a very short time I was unable to even exercise. I felt like my bones where those of an old lady. They switched it to something else though I don't remember what. Lastly, they switched it to Ranitidine. I was so happy to only have my bones and joints mildly hurt, that I didn't complain. 2 years later, I decided that I was tired of hurting and just quit taking it. I drink Mylanta or take my Tums sometimes. I suffer through when I eat things that aggravate the heartburn. I told my doctor that their cure was worse than the disease. I was lectured about how unrelieved heartburn can lead to esophageal cancer. I responded with not moving due to pain would lead me to an early death anyway! 

I hope that by sharing what has happened to me, that it might help some of you. I thoroughly believe that sharing knowledge is so very important. Good luck and good wishes to all of you.