cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Quitting all nicotine

I was a long time chewer and eventually worked my way down to snus and eventually down to Zyn tobacco free nicotine pouches. My finance and I are trying to start a family and I have read that nicotine is bad for male reproduction so I am going to quit cold turkey this Friday. I have ordered a ton of gum, mints, sunflower seeds etc. to get myself through the cravings. My biggest concern is insomnia. The last time I tried to quit, I wasn't able to sleep at all... Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself and possibly get some encouragement as times get tough coming up. 

28 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Marigene6266‌ and smiling_accountant

Might also be some suggestions in Night Owls and Insomniacs‌. Might be a good place to connect when you're having sleeplessness as well. 

There is quite a bit of posts on insomnia as well. There are even some posts by the Mayo team that talk about insomnia or sleep.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

Welcome! I too struggle with insomnia. I have never been a "good sleeper" and quitting hasn't helped. I too was afraid, as last time I tried to quit the insomnia got to me. Unfortunately, I have not found anything to really help me, but I guess knowing what to expect helped me be mentally prepared for it this time around. I'd suggest googling some ideas and trying them to see if anything helps you - it certainly won't hurt. And if you find something, let me know! 

Just wanted to update everyone. I ended up going cold turkey a day earlier just because I was getting anxious and just wanted to rip the bandaid. I have not had a single chew since last Thursday the 27th. It has been brutal. Sleep issues and severe lack of energy have been the biggest difficulties aside from the actual cravings. I pretty much go through a pack of gum and a pack of mints per day. 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

gravityhunter27 wrote:

Just wanted to update everyone. I ended up going cold turkey a day earlier just because I was getting anxious and just wanted to rip the bandaid. I have not had a single chew since last Thursday the 27th. It has been brutal. Sleep issues and severe lack of energy have been the biggest difficulties aside from the actual cravings. I pretty much go through a pack of gum and a pack of mints per day. 

Good job.  Have a plan for now reducing your nicotine intake over time and also plan for dealing with cravings? There are some great posts across the site. Check out the Best of EX section on the home page.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team

Way to go! Every day gets you closer to the goal. Keep reaching out for support! 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Congrats on beginning your journey.   Be patient with yourself.  It will get easier, but it can take some time.

Stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos
tyndallgw

Wow!  Way to go gravityhunter.  Things can get tough at times, but Hang in there!

-George

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

If insomnia is your greatest worry, deal with it now. Make a plan. Talk to your doc. Think about what you will do to cope. Whatever you do, please don't set yourself up with all or nothing thinking such as--if I can't sleep, I'll have to smoke. No one has to smoke to get anything done in life. It is an addiction. One day at a time you can learn to quit, and deal with anything.

indingrl

NICOTINE FREE

0 Kudos
RoseH

Insomnia is a common side effect for new quitters.  And I was one of them.  I went to Amaaon.com and found several homeopathic, non-habit-forming natural sleep aids to help me get some sleep...  Just make sure to read the reviews, make sure it is made in a USA facility, and that it has at least 4.5 stars.  Be sure to talk with and ask your primary care physician for his approval and suggestions.