cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DONE48done

Quitting again after a relapse and looking for support

Hi all!

i am a 48 yo man who has been somoking a pack a day for 2.5 years.  I had somoked for 15 years then quit for 10 years then relapsed. I am so ashamed and scared about this addiction.  I am convinced I have lung cancer and carry great guilt.  I have tried everything from medication, support groups, acupuncture, meditation.  I have a cough and can be short of breath.  It makes me feel gross.  I relapsed after my mother died and was very depressed.  I was back home and smoked a friend’s cigarette and I was off to the races.  

I decided this this morning that I just can’t live like this anymore.  Any words of support would be greatly appreciated.

thank you,

Jay

Tags (1)
23 Replies
DONE48done

So beautifully written Chuck, thank you!!!! Today is Day 2 and I feel optimistic!

karenjones

'Remember that the decisions you make today will determine how that future will look tomorrow.'     Chuck, this is a great description of Karma.  

Bellegonia

Jay,

I'm sorry about your Mom. If I had already quit when my Mom died, I would have relapsed too... but I kept smoking for 8 years beyond her death from Emphysema because I am an addict and I didn't know how to quit. Support like this didn't exist back then and if it did, I didn't know about it!

Here I am... 63 days an EX after 45+ years with no break in between. I tried but I was never able to quit.

I AM very proud of myself.

I still can't believe I quit.

I still can't believe it was as "easy" as it was compared to my mind's eye.

I LIKE this feeling of being proud of myself!

This site exists for people like you. We are living proof that you CAN... there's nothing like being surrounded by those that have been there and done that! Look around and see the trials and tribulations of our tribe. You are not alone.

Welcome HOME.

Hugs,

Belle

Barbara145

Congrats on your decision to quit smoking again.  I tried for decades to quit smoking.  I was unable to until I found this site. Stay close to this place.  I know it is the reason I will never smoke again.  I quit 5 years ago.

elvan

Welcome to EX and congratulations on finding this place and on your commitment to quitting.  Education, support, and commitment will keep you free.  You have gotten great advice already and all I can do it to reinforce it.  We are here to help you, we have all had to start at the beginning.  I smoked for 47 years and thanks to this site, I have been smoke free for 4 years and 9 months...you are in the right place.

Ellen

JACKIE1-25-15

stAn3

Welcome!

elvan

Good for YOU!

Barbscloud

Jay, welcome to the Ex.   Stay close to this site and reach out if you need help.  We're here for you.

Barb   235 DOF

Deena-A-Yenni

You can do this.  So sorry about the loss of your Mom.