cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Thyme

Quitting NRT

So it’s been 70 days since my last slip! I had to quit all nicotine last fall for medical procedures/surgery and quit cold Turkey. It was absolutely brutal. I was counting down the days until I could smoke a cigarette and bought a pack the first day that I could. The cigarettes made me feel horrible physically and out of control and I was almost instantly back to a pack a day. Then I found this site and started taking nicotine lozenges and quit for about 2.5 weeks until I had a slip and smoked 2 cigarettes. They tasted disgusting and made me feel so disappointed in myself. So I got right back on this site and the lozenges and am now 70 days into my quit. I would say I’m taking about 4-6 lozenges a day. I went on vacation last week and was almost forgetting to take them/not feeling like I needed them. The instructions say to taper down to 2-4 per day at the 10 week mark (which I’m at) and to quit completely at the 12 week mark (in 2 weeks). I’m having anxiety about quitting the lozenges! I feel like I need to keep some around for situations when I’m around other people drinking alcohol (I’m about 18 months sober and that used to be a trigger for me to smoke) or other people smoking cigarettes (which is rare but does happen and is still a huge trigger). Any advice or ideas on what I can use to replace the nicotine lozenge with that are not candy? I quit smoking before for over a year but never completely got off the lozenges.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Barbscloud

@Thyme Welcome to the Ex and congrats on 70 days success.   I'm happy the NRT worked for you--it did for me.   First of all follow the instructions for the lozenges and start weaning off them by reducing the number you use and increasing the time in between. 

Have you been reading material on the Ex. If not, it's to late to get some good information and advice about quitting and keeping your quit.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

We're you using other tools for your quit along with the lozenges?  We all have our favorites-I used Sour Patch Kids, chewing on straws, etc.   And keep your self occupied (video games, etc.) and moving.  Walking is a great way to refocus your thinking and get an added boost of dopamine.

It's also good to be aware of no man's land at this stage of your quit.

No Mans Land Days 30 to 130 (approximate) - EX Community

You can do this.  We're here for you, so reach out any time we can help.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos