cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

usoundgirl

Quitters in Their 30's

Hello, anyone there? I need some support- I quit smoking tomorrow the 3rd. I choose this day cause I will be very busy back at work hoping it will keep my mind off it. May day usually starts with two before work, and im able to go all day without till the damn drive home! Then its on, evenings are hard- I smoke frequently until i have to go to bed. Weekends and days off are the worst. Im about to be 35yrs old and have smoked for 15 yrs, this HAS to stop!! I want to have a child soon, and i need to be healthy. Any advice on how to make it through the first day?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
112 Replies
cram-cracker

I'm on day # 2 and have quit several times before. Really need this to work this time, feeling some health affects from smoking about 20 years. Have 2 young children and a great wife and need to concentrate on them and give up the thing that seems to build a wall between us. Will try to stay close to this site, you all are great. LETS DO THIS THING TOGETHER. WE CAN ALL DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who else here thinks that the jets game last night was AWESOME?
0 Kudos
jessica29

i qwuit on nov 6 and am still not smoking but i am thinking about a butt right now i seem to be thinking alot about the smoke but i dont do it my mouth is watering when i think of it i dont want to crack
0 Kudos
larry4

I'm in my first hour. I quit a few months ago for like 5 weeks...enjoyed the sense of smell and taste...I'd like to enjoy the sense of smell and taste again and I hate being a slave to cigarettes. The idea that I smoke because I WANT to is a joke. There is absolutely nothing good about smoking a cigarette accept eliviating the addictive desire...and that is only temporary and illusionary. I am hoping that this site gives me a little extra help and incentive to not smoke.
0 Kudos
kert

This is my first time viewing this site, Im usually good quitting for the first 3 days but after that im a wreck... Does the patches or gum really help????
0 Kudos
Douglas

Greg, ..or anyone ..
  I was just wondering ..every time someone comments here, or joins the group ..I'm supposed to get an email?? I just turned off all notifications, except messages to me; will that fix it, or do I need to un join the group? (hah I can barely keep up with my own emails.)

****KERT -while I'm here man ..just wanted to say ...patches or gum really help, when you have a good plan. The general rule is that NRT (gum, patches, lozenges, -& by prescription: inhaler, nasal spray) along with a support program doubles your chances in quitting. Chantix has the highest success rate. Relapse rates are high overall though. (In the last 10-15yrs tobacco companies have been putting new additives in cigs to get you addicted quicker all over again.) Withdrawals can be the strongest the first 3-5 days ...but the longer you are as a non smoker ...the easier it tends* to be. (From the site's homepage, Do the EX-Plan, Re-learn Addiction, they explain it well.) I think doing the exercises and reading all the other information on this site is a big help. Progressive Muscle Relaxation technique, exercise, distractions, deep breathing, your wife/kids & remembering all your reasons to quit ....also avoiding tempting situations, and having a plan for those you can't avoid ...are some strong tools.

Thanks,
  Doug

CDC says: 1 out of every 3 people that smoke will die from smoking. Tobacco kills more people than AIDS, alcohol, car accidents, murders, suicides and fires all* combined. BUT*** those that quit by 35 reduce their chances of having any health related issues develop by 90%.
0 Kudos
cram-cracker

Good post douglas! I was wondering about the e-mails also. Don't really need all of them in my inbox. I am on the commit lozenge and its helping. My doctor wouldn't prescribe chantix because of some serious side effects lately (depression for one). Also eating a lot of candy and picking up but picking up some healthy habbits trying to quit the biggest burden of my life.
0 Kudos
andrea16

Hi, I'm new to the board and wanted to introduce myself. I'm 34 and was a smoker for 16+ years until my quit date last week (11/10). I'm fighting like heck to be successful at this so I'm looking forward to the support from this community.

Thanks in advance,
  Andrea
0 Kudos
kristen13

Hi Andrea--I am also 34 years old, and I quit on Nov. 11th. Just found this site last night, and I am glad to chat with others who are currently in the same place as me with their quit. It's not easy, but it's been better than I anticipated. I still want to smoke, though! Hope to see you around again.

Kristen
0 Kudos
cram-cracker

Hi, I am 35 and quit on Nov 13. Been smoking for ever. Really need to stay quit this time for myself and my family. Nobody wants to smell that stuff, only smoked in the garage but it was still bad. Threw my garage ash tray (metal coffee can) away to make it feel more permanent. Look forward to receiving and maybe giving some support to you all.
0 Kudos
lauren11

I'm 31 but have been smoking since I was 15. My therapist advised against Chantix, so I've been focusing on my triggers and using nicotine gum. I am grateful that there is this program and community that I can get help from every day.
0 Kudos