cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

temptation

Quitters in Their 20's

You are not kidding. I have stopped drinking for this first month of quitting smoking. Although I'm only on day 6 today not drinking has definitely hellped. I must spend AT LEAST 2 days a week meeting friends at a bar. I think the smell coming off smokers is repulsive enough to keep anyone from smoking.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
106 Replies
temptation

Well somethings I have done are: Played Risk (board game) at a friends, had a card game, went to the movies, hung out with friends that don't smoke, read a book. I started working out and eating healthy as well, which has helped alot. I have not started drinking again. I actually lost 8 lbs from not drinking and working out which is awesome.

0 Kudos
angie46

I dont see a point in people smoking on tv and movies if it isnt about cancer then why is it needed 2 smoke on these shows. It seems like everything I have tried 2 watch since I quit smoking november 7th some1 in everything i watch is smoking now i never noticed it when i was smoking. I never knew andy griffin smoked until i quit 1 day i thought that would b something "safe" 2 watch sure enough the only time i have ever seen andy light up i was shocked. Seeing people smoke seems 2 b a BIG trigger 4 me. So far i have done well. I chew straws when i crave. When people walk past me like in the store or some place I can smell the difference between the smokers and the non smokers. I cant believe I smelled that way. 

0 Kudos
angie46

o btw can any1 tell me how 2 put a pic up on here

0 Kudos
magmar

Wow Joe thats awesome!

I'm doing the working out thing, but still seem to be craving a lot. Thanks for the ideas... Movies sound nice, havent been able to sit through a whole one and enjoy it in awhile 😄

0 Kudos
exl

Movies were my savior the first week.  I literally zombied-out and watched movie after movie to keep my mind off it.  Now I'm finding that I don't have to work so hard not to think about it, the cravings come in little waves and I just have to wait them out by doing what i'm doing and just NOT smoking.

I have been drinking, and I think once you get over the fear, and just tell yourself firmly that your NOT going to smoke, no matter what, you won't.  the more you do it (haha, always drink responsibly of course) the easier it gets.  Just don't get hammered enough to where you lose control.  Have a couple beers with dinner or while watching the game on Sunday and ease into it.  Its really not that bad!

0 Kudos
lesface

Maggie,

You might just want to stay away from friends that smoke for awhile, just until your cravings subside a little bit....cause if you're constantly thinking about it, then going out with smoking friends and having some drinks, you might be more likely to slip up....I haven't tried alcohol yet, but i'll probably have a few drinks at home like ExL said she did, just to try it first and see how I handle that. Just stay busy with other things like Joe said, if you keep working out you won't want to stay up late and drink a lot anyway...just think how great it will feel to start your mornings with a nice workout. I feel like I've lost weight too, from not drinking...my jeans are looser 🙂 good luck this weekend! we can do this!

0 Kudos

Hey all, 

I'm new to this program...I have tried to quit 4 times before and no matter how I tried, I couldn't help smoking again. It just makes me feel like shit honestly. I do feel like I am ready to quit for good now and I figured I would try this website because I have a few friends who have quit using it. 

My biggest problem right now is that my roommate smokes like a chimney. It makes it incredibly difficult to not join him outside for a smoke. Especially because he is one of my best friends. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this? Thanks so much,

Tanner

0 Kudos
magmar

Thanks for the tips everyone, i really appreciate them! Might go visit my friends college- they are all non-smokers and have been trying to get me to quit for years! I know i can do it, because i hardly look at smoking the same way, and am enjoyng being able to run again!  Though i think no matter how much i work out i will still want to drink lol! But thanks everyone, i REALLY appreciate it! 

0 Kudos
angie46

how do i put a pic up on here

0 Kudos
lesface

angie,

to put up a pic, click on "my page" at the top of the screen, then on the top right side of your profile, click "edit profile", then scroll down and on the right towards the bottom you'll see "edit icon" (or something like that)

0 Kudos