cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

temptation

Quitters in Their 20's

You are not kidding. I have stopped drinking for this first month of quitting smoking. Although I'm only on day 6 today not drinking has definitely hellped. I must spend AT LEAST 2 days a week meeting friends at a bar. I think the smell coming off smokers is repulsive enough to keep anyone from smoking.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
106 Replies
lesface

I've gone around in circles for awhile now, trying to quit, and everytime last year that I'd quit, as soon as I had a few drinks I was smoking again. A big reason is because my friends I hang out with smoke. I picked this time now to quit (for good!), because I am in school, no one there smokes, and I have tons of homework to do on the weekends so I haven't had much time for my two best friends (smokers)..I think being in a new routine with new people has helped, rather than keeping the same routine and changing the way I do it. My boyfriend doesn't smoke, so on the weekends I'm around him and my son so no problems there. But I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with my friends coming to hang out and smoking in front of me...I am worried about that, so for now I'm just avoiding them!!! Sounds rough, but they know what I'm doing and why. I just hope after a month or two I can get to where I know I won't smoke no matter what. I just have to do what you said, and consciously tell myself I don't want to wake up with a scratchy, dry throat, coughing up a lung...tons of people have fun and drink without smoking, so we can learn to be one of them! I know we can do it! For now I am enjoying going to the gym, smelling my hair, and hugging my son without stinking 🙂 Stay strong this weekend!!

0 Kudos
lesface

You know another thing I think about that helps?? It would piss me off if I had to reset my non-smoking counter on my page!

0 Kudos
temptation

Ok people last day of the weekend. Yesterday was extremely hard for me. Everyone was smoking around me and I wanted a  cigarette pretty bad. But I didn't have one. Hope everyone is doing well.

0 Kudos
magmar

Hey everyone, My name is Maggie

I decided today is the day, after a massive hangover and the familiar "i smoked myself sick at the bar last night" feeling. I'm really nervous about it, but know its for the best. I work at a hospital and 90% of the people i see have Cancer, and i know i want to do what i can to avoid becoming the stories they tell me. 

Also looking forward to not having to worry if the bar i am going to allows smoking, and if i have to go outside, if i will find my friends in the club again!

You guys may get sick of me on here, but i think this is really gonna help!

❤️

0 Kudos
temptation

Hi Maggie,

Welcome. We won't get sick of you trust me. We 're here for the same reason you are. One of the benefits of this group is that we're all around our  mid twenties and have similar problems e.g. drinking and smoking cigs. I'm 25 years old and today is my 18th day without cigarettes. I owe alot of that to this group. One major difficulty is that I go to a bar with my friends at least 3 days a week. I like smoking cigarettes when I'm drunk. So one thing I did for this first month of quitting is that I quit drinking.  It has helped tremendously. I used to work in cancer research and was a smoker. It used to stress me out tremendously. I was specifically working with Head and Neck Cancer go figure right! Anyways write in whenever and I hope this group helps you as much as it helps me.

-Joe

0 Kudos
magmar

Hey Joe, thanks for the encouragement! Today hasn't been too bad- and thats making me really nervous. I haven't been really miserable yet, and I keep expecting it. I agree, and don't think i will be going out any time soon, or at least go to the bars you cant smoke in.

Congrats on day 18! How does it feel??

0 Kudos
lesface

Hey Maggie! So are you going cold turkey? That's what I did, and exercise has helped a lot with that...i'm almost to day 14 🙂 If you just make it through the first few days it gets so much easier...I think we all get a little nervous when the weekend comes, but I did the same as Joe, and I'm not drinking for awhile. Good luck and stay strong!

-Leslie

0 Kudos
magmar

Thanks Leslie!

I'm still working through everything. When i cant run outside i've been running stairs to stop the nasty cravings. I'm happy that my body is starting to feel better, and i don't even need as much coffee in the morning! Day 14!!! Thats FANTASTIC!!! Are you still thinking about smoking every minute? Thats the hardest part right now, i wouldn't really call it a craving, but i'm still thinking "after this i can go smoke" or "if i bum one and smoke in my car nobody will know", all that BS. Does that go away?

Luckily all of my friends are non-smokers, so if we go I wont be around it other than outside, which i can deal with. I'm living with a smoker, so that part is not too bad for me!

Congrats on day 14!!!! Keep up the great work! And thanks for the support!

0 Kudos
exl

Hi everyone!!  Sorry I have been absent for a while...work has been really hectic!  Congratulations to everyone for keeping their quits and being smoke-free...you are all so much more beautiful for it!  I have been doing really really well.  Obviously I have urges and cravings, but they live inside me like this little tiny sadness instead of a roaring monster that wants to make me mean and crazy!  Because I know I don't want to smoke.  The thought of it is weird to me and its only been 16 days.  I just feel like I am missing a little part of me.  BUT I KNOW THATS NOT TRUE!  I know it is just my addiction and that I will survive whether or not that little sadness ever goes completely away...and I know that I will not survive if I go back to smoking!

Actual developments:

1)  I am down to only a few pieces of Nicorette per day and believe I will wean myself off the Nicotine altogether in the next couple of weeks.

2)  I am starting my exercise regimen on Monday.  It will consist of a 45-minute interval workout combining high and low intensity cardio along with pilates and basic strength training.  I will do this four days per week.  I will also do a 4 mile run with my girlfriends on Saturdays, a tradition I have been too lazy to join in until now.

3)  I am gaining weight, getting pimples, and sometimes coughing up nasty sh*!.  I am happy because all of these are side effects of a successful quit!!!

Let us know how you are doing and what your developments are!  That's what we're here for:)

0 Kudos
magmar

So, i'm getting a little nervous about the weekend. I know i'm going to need to get out of the house,but am not sure i'm ready for the bars yet. Does anyone have any suggestions?? 
Did anyone try drinking at home?

Any suggestions other than drinking?

Thanks!

0 Kudos