cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Quiting

Whats the hardest part?

15 Replies

The hardest part for me was the mental/emotional challenge. I swore I would never go back and I haven't.

lqsi12

Understanding my needs vs following my personal achievement. 

0 Kudos
jonimarie

I agree withGiulia ...the night before my quit was the hardest part.

Spent 2 weeks every night on this site reading past and present blogs and educating myself before my quit date

Many quits before this one...but the education here prepared me and saved me from a rough bad quit

And I never want to go through that night before I quit again!

Because once you believe and get though day 1 you remember to N.E.F. when that "just one cig" thought comes.

PrimeNumberJD

The fear of quitting. Once I got going, it was easy, getting started was hard. The feeling is very similar to the night before a big event; you'll do great, just do what you are prepared to do. 

There are a lot of hard things noted here by a lot of different people; everybody's quit is different so don't feel overwhelmed as you may not experience any of these but have a new contribution of the hardest part on the flip side! 

Also, totally recommend YoungAtHeart‌ advice on reading. Whyquit.com and Allen Carr's easyway to quit smoking. The book (broke one of the rules by gifting it away) and the website have a common theme with expert and both are very informative. Finally, keep these good folks here close, sexy EXers are some great folks and will be there in a pinch! 

Giulia

If I may add onto my previous response - preparation makes a HUGE difference on day one.  Because as awful as the night before may be for many of us, if you're prepared, day one and two and three really aren't nearly as much of a big deal.  Because you've accepted the challenge and know pretty much what's in store and how to work your way around the cravings.  That's why education/knowledge about this addiction/journey ahead of time is so important.  

Ralph1955

For me, the hardest part was the anxiety the night before knowing that in the morning I was Not going to have a cigarette.  I stayed awake longer than normal just to delay the next morning.  I think that's when it finally hit me that Nicotine was controlling me.  Today I am over a year as a non smoker and feel amazing.

Good luck, you Know you Can Do It.