cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

hg17

Quit smoking but got hooked on Juul

Hi All,

I am new to this group . I am hoping to hear from Ex Vapers , soon to be or struggling to be ex vapers !

Sooooo I thought when I quit smoking cigarettes and only juuled , I was no longer a “ smoker “! I thought vaping was the answer to my prayers . No more smell, hiding , cronic sinus infections , could Juul indoors with my tea in the morning & glass of wine at night ( really a big deal , especially being home more now with COVID pandemic ) , didn’t have to find the “ smokers shame “ designated area ; the list goes on .

Im the past few months I’ve noticed I’m getting more sore throats and sometimes heavy feeling chest , more fatiqued etc . Things I associated with cigarettes and not vaping . 
I read someone’s post that giving up their Juul was like “ giving up their friend” . That truly resonated with me . I have read Allan Carr’s book numerous times. I guess I just never thought nicotine was really a big deal ( I know that sounds silly).... I told people and myself it was way better than the tobacco and chemicals added to cigarettes . 
I honestly have no desire to return to smoking . Don’t like the smell of it and it’s been almost 2 years . I do think it’s time to get started on quitting the Juul .

Any suggestions , advice or thoughts on my post would be greatly appreciated . Thanks  

HG17

Labels (1)
17 Replies
Maki

I just want to thank those who are vape users . You spoke out and spoke the truth about vaping .  You e begun the healing process for yourself and others . 

I never vapes , from day one vaping came out I knew the lies . I knewhow cigarettes and big T tricked me . I knew their promises that it was safer was only a play on words . 

I am glad you are herec, glad you are quitting and wish you much success . One day at a time ... don't vape , walk . 

0 Kudos
RoseH

Click on the link below to see that vaping can be more harmful than cigarettes

http://www.center4research.org/vaping-safer-smoking-cigarettes-2/
  • There is a lot of information on the Internet, no matter what the subject is...  I tried vaping for a little while, but it was not as strong as Nicotine in cigarettes...  I threw it away and a lot of money went in the trash...  I am glad now!  I am two years quit and truly feel like a non-smoker!  If you read the book by Allen Carr entitled, The Easy Way to Stop Smoking, I am certain it will help your quitting vaping too!  They both contain the drug Nicotine.
intervention

You might find it easier to quit vaping by tapering down your nic level. Unfortunately you can't do this with the JUUL system. You might want to switch to a different pod system that allows you to put in your own juice. This way you can start with a high nic level (say 24), then after a while go to 18, 12, 6, 3, then 0. If you quit after 0 for a while you will avoid any physical withdrawal, which should then make it easier to quit entirely with the help of the many wonderful suggestions you will find on this site.

jude3

I don't know if this 'quit cigarettes but now hooked on juul' thread is dead. Seeking advice specifically on that issue.... It has been satisfying to get rid of the pack, the lighters, the cigarette countdown in the pack, the stubbed out butts, the smell and stigma of tobacco cigarettes ... but juul is insidious and evil in different ways. I don't know how much nicotine am taking (only that it is far more). And the juul opened up smoking to places and times I never would have smoked a cigarette (my car, inside at my desk, in bed while reading, etc)

TBH, I am overwhelmed by the sheer volume of threads, groups, blogs, posts, current and decade-old material on this site. It is hard to navigate through the volume and find one's niche within the community....

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community,jude3 !

One of the better ways to engage with the community is to write a blog (Home-top left, then center blue box, Post to My Blog").  Reading all over the site can never hurt - but if you want specific vaping information, search for that with the magnifying glass (top right).

Congratulations on your decision to quit vaping.  It's common sense that anything you put in your lungs that isn't clean air can't be good for you!  You will need to substitute “vape” or “device” as you do the reading I will recommend. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Because vaping is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than regular tobacco products - but it CAN be done!  If you would like to use a quit aid and would like information on the various ones, let me know

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . which can be found online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be

Let me know if you think you would like to use a quit aid and I will give you my thoughts on them.

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all),, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@jude3 

Sorry you're overwhelmed. @YoungAtHeart Provided some information that is hopefully universal to quitting. But if you you want posts more specific to vaping you can check out those Labeled Quitting Vaping: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/forums/filteredbylabelpage/board-id/quit-support/label-name/qu... or things tagged with Quitting Vaping: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/tag/quitting%20vaping/tg-p/board-id/quit-support or Quitting E-Cigs: https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/tag/Quitting%20E-cigs/tg-p/board-id/quit-support.

Labels and Tags are found right below the first post in a thread if the author added them or they can be found on the right side of the page when your in a Forum Board or Journal Board under Conversations or in the Group Hubs.

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
toy

Hopefully you'll find things that apply to you.  I get that it can be frustrating to see so much stuff on the site but at the same time there is a lot of value. Some may be dated and other is timeless.  I quit 4626 days ago. Glad I never got on the vaping fad. There are so many wonderful people here why not embrace the knowledge that exists here, even if people don't have the same experience and just participate. Perhaps you'll be surprised that simply having support and using the site as a distraction will help you quit. I looked at your quit date and it is odd. It's a long time ago. Probably before most people on the site were even born. Which is impressive. Hope to hear from you and see how things are going in your world.

Etoyah
~Smilin is my favorite
0 Kudos
elvan

Welcome to EX, YoungAtHeart‌ has given you great advice, l agree that the best way to get the targeted feedback you are seeking is to write a blog. It is so unfortunate that vaping has not only fed your addiction, it has made it worse. Addiction to nicotine is a serious addiction. I know there are several people on the site who are recovering from vaping. You have gotten very good advice & remember we really are all on the same journey.

Ellen