cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Quit date set for 6/24. Worried and questioning my ability.

About a week ago I decided that I want to quit smoking. I have severe anxiety and even thinking about it increases it. I lost my mother 2 years ago, she was 60 years old. She needed a heart and had an LVAD. Her actual cause of death was her trach was pulled out while they were moving her in the hospital. I was diagnosed with PTSD when I was 21. On July 24th, 2017 (11 months on June 24th) my blood pressure was out of control.. like 196/204 (I think?) and I decided then I wanted to live. My average BP was around 180/90 with meds. I no longer had health insurance so I no longer had meds. I have since that moment lost -130 lbs., 6 lbs. to go until I have lost half of my body weight. I can't wait until my goal to quit smoking. I was worried about weight gain but now not so much since I am super active. I don't have much family. My brother was diagnosed with cancer 6 years ago, not yet a cure. He was healthy, never a smoker. I am a wife and a mother. I don't smoke in the house or car and my husband only knows that I smoke. I have been a smoker for 20 years. Again, I am making this decision because I want to live. I don't want to leave my children without a mother if I can do something about it. I feel that smoking makes me feel better, it calms me down. This may be in my head. I am worried that I won't be ok. I feel lost, alone and feel like I need them. I am going to start with the patches. I have hope that they will help me though I am super worried. I can't even go an hour without a cigarette without having to go out again. I know I am saying can't and I can. I have to quit. This is not an option and I CAN and WILL do this!! I am still worried and question my ability. I worry about smoking in the mornings, not sure if the patch will help me with these things. I know it will be baby steps, one moment at a time. Looking at my future as a non-smoker is too much for me. I often put way to much thought into everything. I hope that it's easier than it is in my thoughts. Does the patch help with not wanting a cigarette? How long does it usually last, the thought of wanting one? Does this happen throughout the day, like is it worse in the mornings? I know everyone is different. I tried to google information and there is just too much for me to process. I'm just not sure what to really expect. 

61 Replies
Sdavisfl

Fact: It's not easy, but it can be done. Like you said everyone is different;however, the patch did not work for me, but the Nicorette fruit chill gum did. I completed 30 days smoke free June 8, 2018 and it's gotten a little better, but the urge to smoke still strikes me sometimes. When it does, I chew a piece of gum. My sister in law, used peppermint candy to help her quit, but again that didn't work for me. Keep trying different things, until you find what works for you.  Just don't consider giving up. I also found it helps to have a quit buddy. You can use EX for that. Praying for you  

DLHaffner

ps WereAllMadHere‌ ...I was thinking more about your post and thought of one other thing that really helped me in the beginning and continues to today.  I had to STOP saying that I was quitting smoking.  I started re-emphasizing that I get to start being FREE.  I get to start living and breathing and not being so tired all the time.  I wasn't depriving myself of something....by quitting.  I was gifting myself life by started to breathe air only!   I just had to think all of this to myself so I wanted to share it.  I hope you give yourself this awesome gift!!!!  It's a lot easier I assure you!  No one's ever died from not smoking.   

maryfreecig

Hi and welcome to Ex. I quit in 2013 after about 34 years of smoking at the age of 54. I smoked about a pack a day at that time, but at times smoked nearly two packs a day. I'd smoke in bed if I woke in the middle of the night and relished having three cigarettes first thing in the morning--the first being simultaneous to starting the coffee. When I quit, I realized to my horror that I put smoking first, that it was my number one satisfaction. I had a full life, but the cigarettes still came first (the hits of nicotine) because that is the nature of nicotine addiction. I had become habituated to the nicotine via smoking over a period of 37 years (quit once when I was quite young). So letting go seemed like climbing Mt Everest...impossible for me. 

Turns out it was not impossible. Now a good handful of years later I'm still smober...and it all started with a decision...just like you have made. Now, I do not have to answer to a cigarette, hit of nicotine. And one day at a time, I've re-learned life without smoking---it's so much easier!

The addiction fades, you get to call the shots if you stay smober and grow your smobriety one day at a time. 

I'm glad you shared your story, please stick around, keep sharing and learning.

c2q

Hello, wonderful new quitter. It is very lucky that you are here - welcome! I am glad that you are choosing to save your own life. Only you can make that choice, and I am proud of you. You can do this. First things first - get out of your head. Stop thinking about it. Be quit. any time ... ANY TIME ... you think of smoking, look the other way and think of something else. Have you ever look closely at a pink polka dotted giraffe? Imagine it in detail the next time your addiction tells you you want a cigarette. Or think of your own thing. This is your quit, and you will do just fine, thank you very much, if you just keep the little buggers away from you mouth. You can do this.

JACKIE1-25-15

Giulia

Nice to see you Pati!

0 Kudos
elvan

c2q‌ Miss you!  Good to hear from you!!!!

0 Kudos
Lescoo

It sounds as if you're having anxiety very similar to mine on Tuesday, which was one week before my upcoming Quit. I was freaking out!  I am taking Welbutrin this time around and since I've tried everything else over the years, this has to be my final stand against nicotine. I too find that smoking calms me down. For me the anxiety was due to the realization (fear) that I was going to loose my crutch and didn't have the coping skills to deal with stress.  I discovered that as crazy as it sounds I literally do not know how to be calm. This skill probably escaped me because I have smoked all of my adult life giving me a false sense of calmness. I am now practicing being calm, and learning to be comfortable with calmness. I have also discovered that calmness is awesome!  Being actively calm has helped me cut back to a few cigarettes a day and given me more confidence that I will quit come Tuesday. I now see an urge to smoke as an opportunity to practice calmness and it gets me through.  I hope this makes sense and may help in some way. Wishing you the best with your upcoming Quit.

Thank you all so much! I made the decision to quit earlier than my quit date yesterday. My last cigarette was at 10pm, it's now 11:30am!

Barbscloud

That's great.  Day one of the journey!

95DOF