cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

lwest77

Quit date panic

Panic is setting in… my quit date is 4 days away and I’m finding myself smoking more, holding on to my pack as if I’m holding on to a 40 year old friend that’s moving out of the country. My plan was to start pushing the cravings 30 mins, then the next an hour… etc. but I fear I’ll run out of smokes and buy another pack and the cycle will repeat

any thoughts on this?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
maryfreecig

Definitely stick with Ex and read all you can. Check out the Mayo Blog page for tips and ideas on how to handle quitting. As for the community side of this, welcome to Ex. Keep blogging and talking about what is going on.

Ok, so how to handle your panic. Have you written out a list of things you will do other than smoke when a crave comes along or a trigger. We all went through this and many of us planned --craves need an action response far more than a thought response. So if you have not made out a list, please do. We can't really control a crave, but we can control how we respond. Take a walk, play a game, go shopping, have a snack, suck on a hard candy, watch a comedy, listen to music...the list is endless.

As smokers we really don't understand that we will be relearning everything without a smoke. This means that we take it one step, one day so that we can handle feelings. Ending a nicotine addiction is not easy but it is doable. Don't be hard on yourself if you feel upset, uncertain. We all did. Try to stay busy, stay focused on your reason for quitting.

This is your quit--it's for you and you can achieve it one day at a time.

308875167_3268277690101138_6544419650644654398_n.jpgYou have everything you need to quit right inside youYou have everything you need to quit right inside youcfdcbdc8f3a5fdd7ad923e6e2c1e360f.jpgFB_IMG_1569609273073.jpgpastedImage_3.png

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@lwest77 Welcome to the Ex.  Some folks cut down before they quit and others smoked more leading to their quit date.  One way isn't better than the other.  The important thing is to be prepared for your quit date in 4 days.  Have you been reading material on the site?  Knowledge about nicotine addiction and have a plan in place has been key for many quitters. 

This link is  great place to start.  https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Starting to feel anxious about quitting is normal.  After all, we've smoked though every emotion and activity in our lives.   Many quitters have described it as losing their best friend.  Several things helped me to get over the fear.  Being prepared, educated and having support made the difference after smoking for 50 years.  But what really impacted my success the most was when I realized it was a choice to quit.  I only had to do it for one day.  I could smoke again if I chose to. But those one days turned into another and then another until now I'm at 4.5 years.

Consider taking the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track one day at a time and to support your fellow quitters.

Re: November Daily Pledge 2022 - Page 10 - EX Community

Reach out anytime we can help!

Barb

0 Kudos