cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ccsiii

Quit Date : April 6, 2020

I quit smoking on April 6, 2020 ( that was my birthday). So far I have not relapsed. Feeling good. 

Labels (1)
5 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to the community!

WOW!  Congratulations on your decision to quit AND making it through H#ll Week!

An important thing you can do to help you navigate the rest of this journey is  to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This easy and entertaining read provided a world of good information about nicotine addiction, most of which I was not aware.  I credit it in large part with my success at quitting.   You can search for it online or at your local library.

It helps to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

It also can be helpful to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

ccsiii

Thank you for the insight. I have altered routines and have started a pilates routine. That definitely seems to be benfitting me now. The most difficult challenge at this time has been a result of the stay at home protocols. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s ccsiii 

Whoo Hoo...so happy you quit smoking...be sure to read here and keep close to the support group.  We are here to help and all in this journey together...Be safe, be well, and be quit ~ Colleen 498 DOF 

ccsiii

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on you quit.   Wow, that's 9 days already.   We're here to support you, so just reach out if you need encouragement or just want to share your journey.

Barb

0 Kudos