cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tommiei

Quit After 30+ Years

I have smoked for over 40 years and have quit once about 10 yr ago for 6 weeks. I am so ready to stop this bad habit.  I hate the smell that it leaves in my clothes. So much so that I will not smoke if I am going out to a store or to eat. I am a little embarrased to even say I have smoked for so many years but it is what it is.   Now I have 20 days before my quit date and I will start today using the things I have learned on this site so far.  I hope to get the patch but if not then I will be doing this cold turkey.

71 Replies
lisa319

Hi I'm Lisa.I 'm 46, and started smoking when I was 9 years old. You see my parents used ttell me to light their cigs from the stove, It  was the bigenning of a love hate relationship ever since......I stopped smoking 4/7/13 But I slipped yesterday.. I will not give up.For I am determind...It is so hard with all the stress in my life, 4 kids, 3 of which are of special needs, a husband that does not support you. work, But you know what I WILL NOT LET THAT STOP ME, from my GOAL!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
peggytoz

I am 44 and started smoking when I was 13. I have had cervical cancer and total hysterectomy  when I was 26 . I stopped smoking with Zyban for 7 months after that but I also gained 90 lbs. I kept smoking with a few 1-2 week long quits. 4 years ago I tried Chantix and I quit for 9 months but again, I started smoking again. I tried Zyban again with no luck and Chantix again with no luck. I had a 1 month quit with the patches. I would only last a few hours when I tried cold turkey. I went back to Chanix and I quit. I am 5 days into my quit. I have tried everything under the sun and as you can see I tried them all a few times. I HAVE TO STOP!!  Do I miss it? Honestly yes but I dont miss the smell and the wheezing at night. I hope that its not too late for me.

0 Kudos
chuckd

To the 44 year old lady. My heart goes out to you. You have tried so many times to quit "my god what will it take?" the fact that you continue to try is just so inspiring to me. I just want to say thank you and may god give you the strength to stay smoke once and for all.i have been quit for 34 days. I just keep thinking that one of the days I will be quit for good, and never want to smoke again. But maybe that is not the case? Maybe the best I can hope for is just to be quit today. I think the next time someone ask me how long I've been quit I will just smile and say "TODAY I DIDN'T SMOKE" I'm going to quit smoking one day at a time.

0 Kudos
Linda239

My name is Linda.  I have been a smoker for 44 years.  I am about to be 57.  I finally got serious with stop smoking because I do not want serious medical problems due to smoking.  I am on day 121 as of today.  Like everyone says, I have good days and I have bad days,  I am off from work right now on FML for ulcerated varicose veins in my leg.  This is the 3rd time this has occurred.  I am sure smoking did not help this.  My doctor advised me to stop smoking to help them heal faster.  I thought she was only saying that because she was a non-smoker.  Non-smokers were always my enemy.  I figured they just didn't know because they were never addicted.  I know the physical effect of the nicotine is long past, but the mental part sometimes gets to me when I get stressed.  I just keep telling myself that the "Big Monster" is still in my head.  I will make it, but I really need to do some mental training.  Everyone on here has been so helpful and I have read Mr. Carr's book which really helped me understand.  Good luck to all and just hang in there.

0 Kudos
scott86

how do I get in contact with someone here??

0 Kudos
becky97

Hello,

I have been smoking since i was 15.  Started because friends were experimenting and my Mom was a smoker along with all other siblings. so i guess i was doomed from the start.   I am now 57 years old, and yes i have quit before for 5 years with help from the nicotine patch.    My mother passed away and that was when i started back up again.  That was 7 years ago.   I need to do this again.  I will more than likely use the patch this time also.   My official quitdate here is 5-24-13.  I have been cutting back to try and ease into this again. 

Wish me luck!

conumber9#

0 Kudos

A LOT of us have smoked okver 30 years!!

New people to this site may have issues navigating it and finding us all.   We all hang out in the "Blogs" section.  Just above your name and avatar picture click on the Blogs tab, then down a little on the left side, in blue, t says "write a blog".   Just write a blog to say hi, and maybe tell us how you plan to quit or why you plan to quit, or anything about yourself that you feel comfortable telling us. That way we will know that you're here.

This site is the BEST online support group for quitting. We have people with YEARS smoke free, months, days, hours, and quit dates in the future. We all want to help and support, and share what has worked and what we've seen not work.  

NO ONE cares about spelling, grammar, complete sentences, or anything like that.  Blog happy thoughts, sad, or mad thoughts.  Blog if you need help understanding the site, or any  help at all. Blog so we know you are here and can welcome you!!

Blog to get to know us, or to simply keep a record of your quit journey for yourself.

Support is very important, please take advantage of this awesome site and blog, blog, blog!!

~Jordan~ 

quit  11/1/12

0 Kudos
tommiei

It has been 12 days since I quit smoking. Since then my blood pressure is always high even though I am on medication.  And  my right leg and foot will swell, though it could be all the food I have been eating. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?  I am getting very concerned.

0 Kudos
jinni

Hi all,  been smoking for over 50 years!! Or rather, I've been loving/hating/quitting smoking for what seems like forever.  I now have documented effects in my lungs.... I don't want to become a pulmonary cripple!!!  I have just picked a quit date and am starting from scratch with this program.  ADVICE TO ALL: once you quit DO NOT go back to smoking... the first time I quit I believe was the easiest. Glad to join this site... all advice from long-term smokers gratefully accepted.

0 Kudos
Diane145

Hi!  Well, I've been a smoker for close to 40 years.  Uhh, I can't believe it or the fact that I'm 58 years old.  How did either of these things happen?  Oh, that's right, it's called life!

Congratulations to you on quitting and I hope you remain strong.  I have quite several times in the last couple years only to go back with a puf, then a cig, then a couple cigs, then a pack. You know the drill.

Everyone says keep busy, drink water, etc., but you also need some down time.  Snack on something healthy if you can, make a big dinner for the family, play some music, and if you can, go for a walk.  Just avoid convenience stores where they sell cigs.

I wish you tremendous strength!  Perhaps we can keep each other going!!

0 Kudos