Give and get support around quitting

michael26

Proud Quitters

Hello everyone! My quit date is Dec 1st so I need al the advice that i can get
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
173 Replies
beth24

Annie and Ann, what natural supplements have you or will you be using? I'm using the patch right now but would rather take a natural supplement. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated. Thanks
0 Kudos
ann4

Hi Beth, I just started researching the natural supplements. Most have side effects but the two very basic I came across that side effects were minimal: St. John's wort and Ginseng. I was also told that taking a multivitamin can do wonders!
0 Kudos
jason3

Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful
0 Kudos
annie20

Couldn't agree more Jason. How do you all make these Great Pages for yourselves??? I'll have to play with that.

I was asked which supplements I would use to increase dopamine in the brain. First let me say that if you are taking Chantix, wellbutrin or medication for depression, this is probably something you don't want to do. Check with your Doctor. First and foremost for me would be a supplement called SAM-E. It appears to be the safest. There is also Saffron (expensive), St. Johns Wart (another good one), Passion flower, and others. There are also certain amino acids that will facilitate dopamine production and always, take a good B complex vitamin. Much isn't as usable by the body without them. This isn't the only thing to think about when quitting, at least for me.

Have a great day!
0 Kudos
marie23

Thanks Annie for your info. I am getting back to taking my multiples , B complex and Omega 3 on a reg basis. I know I feel better when I do. I let myself get out of the routine. I know the best cure is attitude and gratitude combined with a balanced diet and physical exercise. Having helpful people here really makes this whole process better. Good luck to us all as we continue to fight the good fight and live a happy smoke-free life
0 Kudos
tiffany5

A very big welcome to the newest members of the group! I hope and trust that you will find a lot of useful information and meet a lot of wonderful people not just here but throughout this entire website. It's very nice to meet you all and have you a part of "Call Me A Quitter!" Remember, discussions of your very own are always welcome should you come across anything. And suggestions too! All of you are doing excellent in your quits. You're all inspirations to so many here and in your own every day lives. Keep the journey going and never look back!

welcome Pictures, Images and Photos
0 Kudos
jason3

Welcome new person. Here we go get some candy 🙂
0 Kudos
jason3

you are preparing to quit smoking, it is best to be aware ahead of time of the withdrawal symptoms that you will experience. It is also helpful to know the benefits of quitting and how your body will begin to mend after you do. So let us start examining what happens when you stop smoking.

As an ex smoker, I can tell you the nicotine withdrawal symptoms are the toughest part of the quit smoking challenge. Always bear in mind though that they are just a temporary phase.

As you quit, you are going to be hit by overwhelming urges to smoke. Some of these cravings are natural and others are promoted by your triggers. Triggers are moments or actions that you associate with smoking. Perhaps you always smoked when you had a beer. The beer will be your trigger to light up. It is essential you recognize what your triggers are and learn to avoid them. If avoiding them is impossible, then substitute a new reaction to them.

Tiredness and insomnia are other symptoms that can get the best of you. Combine these with a sore throat, coughing, irritability or chest tightness and you are looking at a very uncomfortable person. It is almost more than a person can handle.

Let me suggest now that you find a nicotine replacement aide to help you ease these symptoms so you can better carry on with your challenge. You can find these aides in the form of a nicotine patch, gum, lozenge, inhaler and even prescription medicine. When I quit, the spray aide worked for me but each person is different. Research and find the one that will give you the relief you need.

Literally within minutes of quitting nicotine, your heart rate and blood pressure drops. Twelve hours after quitting, your circulation improves and your lungs start to work better. Shortness of breath and coughing decrease one to nine months after quitting. Every month and every year your body will continue to repair itself from the effects of smoking. Your reward for a few weeks of harsh symptoms? A lifetime of better health! You are even going to look better!

Recognize what happens when you quit smoking. Equip yourself to meet the challenge. Face your battle head on and enjoy the freedom of being smoke free! It's a wonderful reward. You can do it!
0 Kudos
kinswil55

Thinking of you and your mom...
Photobucket
0 Kudos
patty5

I am so glad to have this site. My problem is I can't pick a quit date. I have to be honest I am scared to death to quit. I was going to try on my husband's bday as a present to him that was yesterday and I smoked. I seem to be smoking more because I am so nervous about it. Did any of you go through this and when do you think a good quit date would be for me. I am going cold turkey, take too many medication to worry about any side effects.
0 Kudos